Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Cutting Boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Cutting Board Taste Reply with quote

I'm a woody--still using the three pig-shaped maple boards my father-in-law made for us 23 years ago.

I clean with soap and water and have never oiled. Maybe I'm a lucky optimist, but I'm of the school that exposure to bacteria is a good thing. It's kind of like lifting weights--keeps you in shape immunilogically. Viruses and bacteria don't make you sick, it's the inability of your body to fight them.

Anyway, since my wife has very sensitive taste buds, I have the pig face to the left for savory--meat, garlic, onion, tomato, etc. I flip it over to face right for sweet--apples, mango, pineapple. Ginger can go either way depending on the dish.

Great site!
danaleks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Warped wood boards Reply with quote

A college roommate left one of my wooden boards in a sink with one corner higher than all the rest. The board warped. A lot!

N.B. - Prior to doing the following operation, I let my roommate know what a twit he was for almost ruining my cutting board!

I soaked the board in water for a few hours and put it on a flat surface, "hump" side up, with a weight on it. For a weight, I used a quart jar (with a lid) full of water.

I kept the board moist until it flattened out. Then I let it dry on a flat surface.

Also, if you have a board that slides around on the counter, place a slightly damp towel under it. Wash your hands and use the towel to dry them, that's about how damp it needs to be.
EXROGUE2@AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: CHINESE BOARDS Reply with quote

JUST A NOTE....BE CAREFUL OF ANY BOARDS MADE IN CHINA...AS YOU MAY KNOW A LOT OF PRODUCTS ARE BEING FOUND CONTAINING LEAD AND VARIOUS OTHER CHEMICALS. FLEXIBLE CUTTING BOARDS MADE IN THE USA ARE FDA APPROVED AND ARE 100% SAFE. I WOULD NOT CUT UP MEAT SCRAPS FOR MY DOG ON ANYTHING IMPORTED FROM CHINA. ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.[/b]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: cleaning a board covered with mouse droppings Reply with quote

I am rehabbing a kitchen and the under the counter cutting board was stuck in its slot. After much tugging the board finally came free, complete with dried mouse dropping and stains. I've scrubbed it and it looks clean and stain free, but will it ever be clean enough to use again? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sherri in Texas
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning a board covered with mouse droppings Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I've scrubbed it and it looks clean and stain free, but will it ever be clean enough to use again? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you're really concerned after using a bleach solution, you can always sand it down a little - enough to take the top layer of the board off (assuming it's a wood board).
gobble turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: pecan pies Reply with quote

Can cooked pecan pies be frozen?
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Great Blog! Reply with quote

Excellent Blog! This is right up my alley as I love molecular gastronomy! I will be reading this blog everytime you post a new one! Keep it up!

Athena Foods - Cook Like a Goddess
paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: bamboo boards on the cheap Reply with quote

I have gotten several beautiful bamboo cutting boards at TJ Maxx. I was surprised by the amount of relatively high-end cooking supplies at a store that I had thought to be mainly full of discount clothing and shoes. They have boards, knives, pots, pans as well as spices and jarred sauces in their housewares sections.

I always hear that bamboo can be prohibitively expensive, but you can get boards there for $5-30. Definitely worth checking out.
dianamccauley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: cutting boards Reply with quote

an objection to using a clorox solution to clean a cutting board is that clorox is cancer causing. please what is your response to this?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: cutting boards Reply with quote

dianamccauley wrote:
an objection to using a clorox solution to clean a cutting board is that clorox is cancer causing. please what is your response to this?

I don't really have a response for this.. but I did spend the last twenty minutes searching for any "proof" that household bleach causes cancer. Apparently there are a lot of "healthy living" websites and books that claim this, but I have yet to find an authoritative source that makes this claim. Obviously, I'm not well versed in this area, so if anyone wants to help out and find me a paper or report that suggests there is a causal link between bleach and cancer, please respond. (And, no websites that have names like "Committee to Protect the Family Health" or "Living Life Research" please...)
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the MSDS sheet for "Clorox Commercial Solutions® Clorox® Bleach (Issued: 7/2007)"

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/commercialsolutions/cloroxcommercialsolutionscloroxbleach7-07.pdf

Products for the home do not have MSDS sheets. This is the exact same product with a commercial label.

here is a link for all Clorox company products:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/index.html

Sometimes, the MSDS sheets are a bit overdone, especially considering that the exact same home products, when applied with a commercial label, such as with bleach or hand soap. For example, in my office, the MSDS label for hand soap says "in case of contact with skin, wash with soap and water." Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by GaryProtein on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on hazard.com page search the msds servers

leads to
http://www2.siri.org/msds/index.php

google/search

SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE MSDS

and you'll find a few billion hits
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the MSDS page for clorox bleach...
http://www2.siri.org/msds/f2/brz/brzyq.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Gods wanted us to make plastic cutting boards they would have made plastic trees!!IKXDX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: My two cents on cutting boards....safety and types. Reply with quote

I'm a cook, and work in a kitchen store, neither of which make me an expert, but I've done enough research to put a few cents in:

First, wood vs plastic. Wood doesn't "kill" bacteria, but it doesn't support live bacteria as well as plastic. The following link is to a University study where they looked at both, and found that bacteria generally didn't live as long on wood as plastic. As a disclaimer, it *is* from the John Boos (manufacturer of wood boards) web site, but it's NOT their study

http://www.johnboos.com/support/documents/science_report1.pdf

I've used wood for most everything (vegetables and cooked meat) for years. I clean it with hot soapy water every night, a thin bleach solution every once in a while, and oil it with mineral oil every couple of months. I've had the same board for about 5 years, and it's working great.

I use a big slab of poly plastic board for raw meat and poultry, then just shove it right in the dishwasher.

Nobody in my family has gotten sick yet.

The idea isn't to make your surfaces "sterile", or to remove all bacteria from your environment. As was mentioned, there's bacteria all over the place. The idea is to avoid, especially, things like salmonella and e coli...and cross contaminating with above mentioned meanies.

Granite: death on your knives, same with glass, stainless steel, or anything else that doesn't show cuts.

Our store sells Epicurean cutting boards, which are wood fiber, as well as Wusthof knives. Our Wusthof rep has never mentioned anything to us about them, and they do show cuts (which is generally the final test for cutability). If it doesn't show cuts, it's killing your knives. We also sharpen knives, and haven't had complaints about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: