Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Cutting Boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Norwegian chefs have created a cutting board with Ipad socket, watch this:
http://www.osloby.no/shopping/Hva-med-en-fjol-med-plass-til-nettbrett-7121541.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Cutting Boards Reply with quote

I'm a beginner in Wood Working and just discovered End-Cut cutting boards that are frightfully expensive, but worth every penny. I intend to make one for myself, and the wood alone, will cost about $50, not including my time to make. For completness sake, you should also provide this very expesive cutting boards in your reviews.
Baz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Cleaning cutting board with UV - the SUN! Reply with quote

Hi Michael
Great blog. We scrub plastic and wood boards with mild detergent and then put them in the sun in a sheltered place (no bird droppings!) and the ultraviolet light in the sun sanitizes them. We live at a moderate altitude where there is a high UV light level.

This method also works for any kitchen gear, and should also be used with scrubbers, klitchen cloths and sponges. AND it's cheap!

Regards
Baz
EricIndiana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Microwaving wooden boards Reply with quote

Aaag! I just ruined my wooden cutting board by microwaving it. The smell of cooked resin or glue still pervades the house. The microwave caused what had looked like one solid piece of wood to fall apart. Maybe it works with really thick boards, but I am here to warn you NOT to try to sanitize your beloved wooden chopping board in the microwave. I feel like an idiot, especially since my wife was asking me what I was doing and I was reassuring that I read all about it on the internet, so not to worry. Sad
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! How long did you microwave the board and how powerful was the microwave oven? I'm going to remove the mention of microwaving as a potential sanitization method as I haven't recommend it in years (because it can dry out and split a wooden board if not careful... and apparently melt resin/glue in the case of your board). I can't believe some of these articles are ten years old now.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in another tip for wooden cutting boards (not end-cut).

When washing them, wash BOTH sides, even if you've only used just one. Water makes wood swell and if you repeatedly wash just one side even that tiny bit of swelling will eventually cause the board to warp. So get both sides wet when you wash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: