Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Buttercream Frosting (American)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winston

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, if you don't like buttercream frosting, then you shouldn't make buttercream frosting! Make a whipped cream frosting or a cream cheese frosting or a mascarpone cheese frosting - I've made this recipe before and this is what buttercream tastes like. I can understand if you don't like it because a lot of people have lost the taste for butter but you should probably avoid trying other buttercream recipes too since you'll either not like it, or it won't be real buttercream. Duh.
Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Buttercream Variatioin Reply with quote

I am a dessert caterer and make buttercream exactly this way. Thought I would share a variation, which is a "bestseller" for me...To the finished swiss meringue buttercream add 1 cup lemon curd for an outstanding lemon buttercream. Enjoy!
Cupcaker

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Sugar Frosting Reply with quote

Two local cupcake shops in town claim to use buttercream frosting. One takes rich and creamy like butter and the other tastes like straight sugar. Is the sugary frosting really buttercream? Is more sugar and less butter used in the recipe? Is that the only difference in how they are made?
Juliette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: That gross supermarket icing Reply with quote

The yucky birthday-cake frosting that grocery stores and cheap bakeries use is called "Bettercream". It's a non-dairy kind of frosting that sits in giant buckets for weeks and doesn't need to be refrigerated because it's loaded w/preservatives. I hate that stuff!
Kara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, THIS RECIPE!!! Reply with quote

First I would like to say to: On May 13, 2008 at 03:09 AM, Brit (guest) said... Subject: YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!

YOU ARE INSANE AND HAVE ZERO TASTE!

This is not the easiest recipe to make and I must admit that the first time I made it did not come together and I had to toss. On the second attempt it was a success and tasted wonderful. After making it, my husband who doesn't eat sweets, asked for a piece of cake and wanted the buttercream smeared on top. He devoured the entire thing. This is a definate winner!!!

I have a couple of questions.
1. Is there anyway to stabilized to survive east coast summer weddings in heat and hummidity of 95 degrees F?
2. I would like to use this on my wedding cakes with fondant topping but you should not refrigerate fondant covered cakes. How can this be stored once the fondant is placed?

Thanks for the recipe!
Chris G.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: For Kara Reply with quote

I believe that this is stable at room temperature (not sure about 95 degrees F, but 70 should be all right, if you can keep it in a slightly cooler place). So you will have no problem at all with the fondant!

Actually, this frosting should not be refrigerated before being spread on a cake--no wonder people are having problems with it weeping and separating after being refrigerated!
Pamela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Buttercream icing Reply with quote

I do like the cooked buttercream icing. It creates "ooohh"s every time I make it. However, for an easier, sweeter buttercream I use the following:
1/2 cup room temperature butter (1 stick)
1 lb confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
milk
Start with putting butter, sugar, and vanilla into a bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp of milk to start. Begin to mix and check for consistency. Add more milk as needed to get the icing liquid enough to spread, but be careful not to add too much. Most likely you will need a total of around 3-4 Tbsp.

This recipe makes a very fast buttercream that is sweet and not too buttery. It will be a bit yellow unless you use shortening and clear vanilla which hurt the taste. No eggs and takes 2 min if your butter is room temp. Great for icing event cakes.
Mary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Buttercream is grainy Reply with quote

Help. I think I'm doing something wrong, b/c my buttercream is a little grainy. The flavor is delicious!!!!! What am I do wrong? Am I heating the sugar H2O solution too much? When I drizzle the hot sugar solution into the egg mixture, the sugar is grainy. Please help!!!!
guest baker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: buttercream eggs problems Reply with quote

I've tried this same recipe, but out of the Baking Illustrated book, several times. I love this recipe because it has a subtle taste and is less sweet than the Butter Frosting with confectioners sugar and butter. Every time I make this frosting I have problems with the eggs cooking while I'm heating the egg and sugar mixture over simmering water. The bottom of my bowl never touches the pan and I am constantly whisking the mixture. I've even tried heating the mixture so slowly that it takes an hour to reach 160F and my eggs still end up cooking a bit. Can anyone tell me how to avoid the problem of cooked eggs?
Patti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Peanutbutter Frosting/Icing Reply with quote

Hi -- great site! Does anyone know a decent buttercream style recipe for Peanutbutter Frosting? Thanks.
pastrychefnyc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Fondant Buttercream Reply with quote

As a pastry chef, trained at CIA by some of the best pastry chefs in the USA, a very good, ultra-smooth and simple buttercream frosting can be made by mixing equal parts of baker's fondant (not rolled fondant, the kind used on donuts and petit fours) and butter. Whip them together using a paddle and flavor with vanilla, or as desired. Works great for flowers, borders, frosting cakes, and is very stable with no weeping. It's a great "quick buttercream" when you run out and just don't have the time or patience to go through all of the steps to make more. Using fondant, there's no grittiness and isn't sickingly sweet like powdered sugar buttercreams can be. Doesn't require heating or any special steps for reusing leftovers either. Just another alternative.

Congratulations to Michael Chu! This site and recipe is referenced on Wikipedia's "Buttercream" page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttercream#Fondant-type_buttercream
CC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Soupy buttercream Reply with quote

Thanks for this recipe. I've made it once and it came out wonderful.

However, I made it again tonight, and I don't know what happened, but it became soupy like melted ice cream. It never firmed up. I ended up beating it for over an hour. I tried chilling it in a ice bath while beating it on the mixer which helped a bit, but as soon as I stop the mixer and try using the buttercream, it would go back to the melted ice cream stage.

HELP! What did I do wrong?
CC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: I need HELP!!! What is wrong with my buttercream? Reply with quote

I tried making the buttercream again this morning following directions carefully. I'm new to baking, so I may be asking a dumb question.

This time right before the mixture came together, the butter started to separate. I tried cooling it down with ice and cold towels, when that didn't work, I stuck it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. When I pulled it out, I can see the butter had melted (little pools of melted butter throughout the mix). When I mixed the butter in, it was a little bit colder than room temp (I'd read in another site that this can help create a more stable buttercream). I didn't even mix it for that long.

It's happened to me before with another recipe. Is it because of the weather today? It's not really warm in Vancouver, but it is very humid today. Please help. I'm addicted to meringue buttercream and can't work past these little/ BIG issues. THANKS!!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you saw melting / melted butter that would indicate the egg / sugar mix aka meringue was too warm as you started the butter combine with secondary questions about the temp of the butter as it went in - room temp probably not good. this recipe does not specify a temperature at the "cooled down" point - but I should think - based on butter melting in the hand - if the bowl feels warm to the touch, that's still too warm.

essentially this is an emulsion - a mix of water&fat whipped into a congealing mixture.
note that in this case the fat/butter is _physically_ beat to a pulp ie itty bitty pieces vs. the more conventional "whisk up the liquids" emulsion technique.
once an emulsion breaks, it is difficult to get it reassembled via the intuitive-but-probably-won't-work "refrigerate the batch" approach.

also possible - overbeating the eggs can result in liquid / water separating - perhaps the melted ice cream effect?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Buttercream Recipe by Michael Chu Reply with quote

Dear Michael,

I just wanted to "thank you" for taking the time to post this recipe, and demonstration. I look forward to trying this out, tomorrow. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: