Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Buttercream Frosting (American)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhepner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: no egg alternative Reply with quote

I apologize if this post looks weird. I'm not used to quotes....:O

thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas you all have shared over the years on this recipe!
I was looking for a no egg alternative to my mocha buttercream recipe and the flour/milk did it!

Quote:
On July 04, 2006 at 03:46 AM, spugne said...
Subject: Confectioners Sugar Alternative
My mother's "special" cakes were the Waldorf-Astoria red chocolate cake and Nutmeg Feather Cake from a 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook. She always used what she called 12 minute frosting (also called "Poor Man's Icing) on both -- still my favorite frosting. No confectioners sugar. Easy and cheap and tasty -- and it can be flavored as you wish. It is similar to the two listed above but not quite. Great as a filling for sandwich cookies or in/on chocolate cupcakes.

Recipe:
Step One: Mix 1 cup milk with 4 Tablespoons of flour (COOK & STIR UNTIL THICK, COOL).
Step Two: Beat 16 Tablespoons of butter (unsalted) with 1 teaspoon of vanilla for four minutes.
Step Three: Slowly beat in 1 cup sugar (regular or superfine granulated) on high speed four minutes until fluffy.
Step Four: Add cooked and cooled flour mixture and beat four minutes more.

I use about 2-3 c. powdered sugar instead of granulated (I like the texture and lighter flavor better)
and mix coffee syrup and melted (cooled) chocolate of your choice for the mocha.
(I usually substitute instant coffee and baking cocoa with great success)

anyway, it turned out great.
Thanks all!
Big smile
Code:
Robert Walters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Buttercream Reply with quote

Buttercream CAN CONTAIN YOLKS. The hot shot culinary grad. is WRONG!!! This is referred to as French buttercream. I don't no what school you went to , but maybe you should get your money back. Smile
Lindsay

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Awesome recipe Reply with quote

My great grandmother was from France and her recipe always contained eggs. She taught it to my grandfather, a baker, who was married to a Czech baker. Sadly I never learned how to make it before he passed away. However this recipe is remarkably close. I HATE store bought cakes because the frosting is too sweet. So glad I found this recipe!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: This icing Reply with quote Delete this post

This is the BEST for edible icing. Not real good for decorating but I have had guests eat the icing off my cakes and leave cake on the plate. This recipe is also a GREAT receptacle for other flavors. I have made lemon with 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 2tsp or lemon flavor added during cooking stage, chocolate is easy of course, you can also add a package of cream cheese for a smooth and delicate cream cheese icing.

So simply, worlds best icing for eating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: