Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refrigerator Cakes or Tiffin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwendy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Refrigerator Cakes or Tiffin Reply with quote

I've been reading the thread on Crispy Rice Cereal Treats and I wonder if you are familiar in the US with similar treats made with melted chocolate, crushed biscuits/sweet crackers and dried fruit/nuts?

With the right combinations of plain chocolate, fruits and biscuits thay can become quite sophisticated - an adult treat, rather than something to satisfy our childhood memories. Smile

I have a few recipes I could share or link to if you are interested.
Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that called Panforte?
Leonessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: heavens no! Reply with quote

Anon wrote:
Isn't that called Panforte?

Oh dear, Panforte di Siena is definitely not what the thread is talking about but some of the ingredients seem to be in it...not cookie crumbs or cereal. Nanini panforte, a Sienese company which has been making panforte for century will definitely lose sleep over this thread.

Panforte is actually an extremely simply made fruitcake...to simplify the explanation. It is more like the inside of the Scot's Bun...lots of raisins, almonds, cocoa, honey, spices etc which are cooked into wheels about an inch high, cooked for the time it takes to have them set and then wrapped. They have a piece of wafer on the bottom side, a wrapper of thin cardboard around the outside and on the top usually powdered sugar or cocoa. They are available in Italy mostly during the Christmas season (when they are best) but due to the tremendous tourist business they are also available during the year in versions which travel well. You'd love to have a trip to their factory if you ever get to Siena. Recommend calling to see if they are doing tours or get in touch with your travel agency. You probably could reserve a tour directly from you hotel...you are going to Italy some day right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum