Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's so "analytical" about this website?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bio babe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: What's so "analytical" about this website? Reply with quote

I stumbled onto this website with great amusement while looking for a recipe. As an academic research scientist who spends her day "cooking up" experiments, I found it funny to see a website supposedly dedicated to the "analytical mind". But, what's so analytical about it? It's just a bunch of recipes. I was expecting something mocking like ingredient lists with measurements given +/- the standard deviation required for a decent taste. Or even a scientific explanation behind cooking. The best I could find was something along the lines of "Oxidation is a change in color." Actually, it's not -colour change can be a symptom of oxidation sometimes, and any self-respecting engineer would know what oxidation is anyway.

Still, the recipes look good. Teasing
Thor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Beauty - Eye of the Beholder Reply with quote

You should venture a little deeper into the depths of this website. There is much more here than simply recipes. There is in fact insightful discussion held among allegedly insightful people regarding the sciences associated with stuffing our gullets.

I'd be interested in Bio Babe's thoughts on Saturated Fats, Cholesterol, and Heart Disease found in the Kitchen Notes section.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/40/Saturated-Fats-Cholesterol-and-Heart-Disease

And if you'd like to work up some of those standard deviation thingies, I'd love to read about those as well.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's so "analytical" about this website? Reply with quote

Bio babe wrote:
I stumbled onto this website with great amusement while looking for a recipe. As an academic research scientist who spends her day "cooking up" experiments, I found it funny to see a website supposedly dedicated to the "analytical mind". But, what's so analytical about it? It's just a bunch of recipes. I was expecting something mocking like ingredient lists with measurements given +/- the standard deviation required for a decent taste. Or even a scientific explanation behind cooking. The best I could find was something along the lines of "Oxidation is a change in color." Actually, it's not -colour change can be a symptom of oxidation sometimes, and any self-respecting engineer would know what oxidation is anyway.

Still, the recipes look good. Teasing

First off, this is an engineering forum where you seem to be describing "Cooking for Scientists". Big, big difference, but certainly an opportunity for you there.

Secondly, there are other than engineers here and there isn't much we can do about it, nor care to. Dive a bit deeper into the site and you will find the engineering. For example, the discussions on oven heating and crockpot mods are clearly engineer-talk.
ERdept

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs a good shag, yeah baby! Laughing Out Loud
YoKitty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neither a scientist nor an engineer so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment, or to be here at all, but I do find the site analytical. When multiple testers try the same experiment (recipe) and discuss the reasons why their results varied, that is analysis and peer review, isn't it?
Honeygator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Don't think Bio Babe has looked deeply enough Reply with quote

I found this site today, and was elated, because America's Test Kitchen is expensive, however I do take the magazine. I had looked at the Bellagio Hotel's Christmas dinner menu and was intrigued with the Creme of Butternut Soup w/Homemade Amaretto/Nutmeg Marshmellows and Duxelle of Mushrooms. I decided I'd like to try my hand at the marsmellows, this site popped up with a test recipe by one of the member with detailed instructions and pictures. This man followed a chef's recipe and tested it out deviating some from his starting recipe. I don't know how much more test kitchen you can get than that.
katelara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about making a separate index and basing it on a standard cookbook? Then link the recipes to the index. I know nothing about computer programming, so don't know the problems entailing a cross index. If you cross index, you wouldn't need to mess with the posts because they'd stay with the recipe & you wouldn't need to rewrite the recipes because they haven't gone anywhere. Then, whoever is in charge of this board could get notified when new recipes get posted and cross index them once a week (or month).

Last edited by katelara on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katelara wrote:
What about making a separate index and basing it on a standard cookbook? Then link the recipes to the index. I know nothing about computer programming, so don't know the problems entailing a cross index. If you cross index, you wouldn't need to mess with the posts because they'd stay with the recipe & you wouldn't need to rewrite the recipes because they haven't gone anywhere. Then, whoever is in charge of this board could get notified when new recipes get posted and cross index them once a week (or month).

What about doing that yourself?

No match for "ENGINEERSJOYOFCOOKING.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 15:43:10 UTC <<<
vidya31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread ..!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum