Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

condensed milk substitute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milchallergique

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: condensed milk substitute Reply with quote

I'm allergic to milk.
Is there a substitute for condensed milk, sweetened and / or evaporated?
(I'd love to try a Key Lime Margarita Pie recipe.)

Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... that's a hard thing to substitute. You could try cream of coconut (not the same thing as coconut cream). You should be able to get it from a liquor store (it's used in mixed drinks). I don't believe it has any diary in it, but you should check. It has a coconut flavor though (because it's made from coconut) and it is sweetened.
Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soy Milk should substitute for evaporated milk
Leonessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: condensed milk substitute Reply with quote

milchallergique wrote:
I'm allergic to milk.
Is there a substitute for condensed milk, sweetened and / or evaporated?
(I'd love to try a Key Lime Margarita Pie recipe.)

Thanks!

There are tons of milk tries..rice milk is good for making sweets cus it doesn't have that beany taste that soy milk has. I have friends who use it for bechamel and they say it's just like the real thing. If you need thicker you can thicken with rice flour but I really don't know the effects on the Pie. Transformation possibilities - key lime pie recipe without the milk using only corn starch....don't have my recipes with me while visiting the States but I bet you could get ahold of some restaurant site in the Keys which would have a corn starch Key Lime pie recipe available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum