Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Pecan Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben FrantzDale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try this one out. One favorite in my family is cranberry-pecan pie. The tart cranberries cut down on the sweetness a bit making for a more complex flavor. I don't have the recipe here, but if I recall you just throw in a cup or so of raw cranberries (not crasins). Youm may remove some pecans, I forget.

Two things:

First, I've always used the recipe from the Karo syrup bottle, even when baking the pies in bulk. I have *got* to try this one with the maple syrup. /drooldrooldrool

Second, if you're making several pies (like say, 60) it really helps to measure the pecans into the pans and then pour the custard over them. If you mix them in and then pour the filling into the crusts, it's very difficult to get an equal amount of pecans into each pie. (There's nothing worse than a pecan pie with no pecans Smile

(okay, three things)

Third, I wonder how this would taste with some grated coconut in it...

does any one know if you can freeze pecan pie?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate pecans but have made pecan pie several times, it is my father's favorite and I am a totaly Daddy's girl. This is the second recipe I have seen that involves toasting the pecans, the other uses corn syrup like most of them do. Think I'll ask Daddy if he likes maple syrup and perhaps this will be a good way to bribe him into coming over for a visit (I just moved from chicago to Iowa and so am 5.5-6 hours away). I was also wondering if pecan pie can be frozen, I am pretty sure I have seen it in the freezer case at the store, I'll have to look next time I go. I think the mini pie idea would be great for me, I could make a bunch of minies and freeze them since I would never eat any and I'm not sure if he would eat it all in one visit (plus they'd be cute).

Karen
(kskerr)
crobbandrews

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: traditional pecan pie Reply with quote

PECAN PIE-TRADITIONAL CALLS FOR 4 TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER BUT PHOTO LOOKS AS IF IT IS 4 TEASPOONS. PLEASE CONFIRM. THANK YOU
Gale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Old recipe for Pecan Pie Reply with quote

My family, originally from the south, always made Pecan Pie with brown sugar...not syrup. I don't know if this was the original recipe or if the syrup method existed simultaneously. I do know southerners did not make, nor have ready access to, maple syrup...that's a New England food.

Everyone loves this recipe, give it a try:

1-1/2 cup pecans
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup water
1 pound brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Beat eggs until frothy and set aside. Combine sugar & water in a 2 quart saucepan. Using moderate heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Now bring to a full boil and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually stir the hot syrup into the beaten eggs. Blend butter, extract and pecans into the mixture. Pour into (unbaked) pie crust and bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set.
hello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

You said "it takes a bit of muscle" to get the batter smooth, "because of the eggs." However, the problem is actually the order in which you are combining the ingredients, and how. Start with just a single egg, beat it, and then add the rest of the eggs and sugar in increments. It will be quite smooth, then just fold in the dry ingredients. This is true of any number of recipes. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to say to melt the butter...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You forgot to say to melt the butter...

Good catch. I updated the article.
Peggy1998

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: freezing pecan pie Reply with quote

does anyone know if you can freeze a pecan pie?
S_Hewitt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: addition to pecan pie... Reply with quote

Great-looking recipe. Try adding one or two tablespoons of dark or golden rum. It makes a huge difference to the dark-Karo-syrup version of pecan pie. Gives it a butter-rum flavor (I guess that's not too surprising).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much better than Karo Corn Syrup recipe on the back. I made it 2 times in a month! My friends loved it so much, I forwarded your web site link to anyone who wanted it! Big smile
Leila

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Freezing a pecan pie Reply with quote

Hi... I saw the following info on another website & thought I would pass it on. It worked for my pecan pie just fine. Smile
Yes, you can freeze pecan pie. Cook in the usual way and then allow to cool completely before freezing. It is a good idea to freeze it in the pan to protect the crust. When it is cold wrap the pie in plastic wrap and then place in a plastic freezer bag. The pie can be frozen for up to four months.
To use allow to defrost in the refrigerator. If you want to eat the pie warm you can re-heat it in a low oven - 325°F for around 15-20 minutes.
Georgia Pecan Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Pecan Pie like Mr. Edwards Reply with quote

'ello!

I'm looking for a pie that is similar to Mr. Edwards Pecan Pie.

Most homemade pecan pie recipe fillings are too eggy. It is not smooth and creamy like I would like it. I've tasted a lot of homemade pecan pie and all of them no matter who bakes them, comes out with that eggy tasting slightly lumpy filling.

Please tell me how the filling comes out!

Georgia Pecan Lover!

P.S. I can't stand it when people say ugly things on the board. If you don't like it say so. You don't have to use profanity.
Shirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Pecan Pie Reply with quote

When I saw you substituted maple syrup for the Karo syrup, I needed to try this recipe. We got a gift of dark syrup and dh loves the light variety - so this is a great way to use some of it this Saturday. I'll let you know.

A long time ago, we were traveling thru Georgia and had lunch. I ordered a piece of pecan pie and it was SO GOOD I never forgot it. The center of the pie was like a sponge, moist and cake-like (sort of), and not tooth-ache sweet - it was not sticky or gooey. Does anyone have any idea about that?

You have a great site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: