Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterstone Sharpening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaywalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Waterstone Sharpening Reply with quote

I'm considering water stones after many, many years of using oilstone hones and I have a question. On an oil stone, the oil carries off the steel particles. What happens to them on a water stone?

Jaywalker
SirSpice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On waterstones the water carries the swarf off. You ideally need no rinse it off with water continuously, which isn't too bad if you have a container with water nearby.

What I do is put it on my sink divider and have the water running over it continuously. It makes the metal shine in seconds and removes all swarf immediately.
geonuc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was important to leave a slurry on the stone while sharpening because that's what does the cutting, ideally. I could be wrong.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geonuc wrote:
I always thought it was important to leave a slurry on the stone while sharpening because that's what does the cutting, ideally. I could be wrong.

The slurry, in actuality dulls the blade as the stone attempts to sharpen the blade because the stone particles scraped off by the blade, and metal particles from the blade get in the way of the blade and the stone. (Sorry for not using any pronouns here, but I wanted this to be crystal clear.) A water or oil stone should be kept clean while in the process of sharpening. There are those who keep the stone dry while sharpening because all you need to do there is blow off the particles laying on the stone to keep it clean.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use a waterstone dry, the sheer screeching sound it would make will keep that from happening. I'm not 100% sure about whether the slurry is good or bad, but alot less messy to have water running over it.
Jaywalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, slurry may be good or bad, but it is present to carry off the particles.

Jaywalker
SirSpice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I would suggest you use it under running water if you can. Granted, if you can't do so safely than don't.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaywalker wrote:
Thanks, slurry may be good or bad, but it is present to carry off the particles.

Jaywalker

The slurry is bad. Slurry exists because the water combines with the metal particles and stone dust. You want your blade over a clean stone washed with water, not dragging though the waste products of the sharpening procedure, especially if you want that mirror polished scalpel like edge.
Jaywalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum