Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Beer Can Chicken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Alcoholic beverage as moisturizers Reply with quote

I tend to use cheap beer or any equally tasteles soft alcoholic beverage (sake in my opinion is a better option) when I want to get advantage of the faster dissipation of them. Water tends to take longer to boil and, in the case of my city where tap water is hard, also tends to change the flavour of anything cooked into it.

If flavouring is also a point, White Wine or any cheap Cava or Champagne do wonders on unbrined chicken (I cannot use much salt for health reasons), without killing any taste it can have by itself. If you don't care about the original taste, then red wine, or even better, a 50/50 mix of Jerez Dulce and Jerez Seco (I think they call it Sherry Wine in english), or any strong, dark beer will do. In a meat with such a subtle flavor such as chicken meat, this process will practically erase any traces of its flavor and aroma, and it will replace it with the ones of our alcohol of choice, plus of the any spice we add to the mix.

There are also spice that nullify the flavor of the chicken, but that's an entirely different subject Wink

(sorry for my extrange grammar; it's not quite the same write tech reports than write about cooking...)
Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but I think Guiness-flavored chicken sounds perfectly nasty. Its also amusing to hear people confuse their subjective personal preferences (e.g. Guiness is "better" than Bud) for objective qualities.
tuetano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: my results Reply with quote

I have done this many times here at my house with mexcian beer, and this is what i have found:

tecate = so so taste
pacifico = great taste
modelo = acceptable

i also put clove, red pepper and parsil on the cerveza and put only butter and black pepper on the chicken and cover it with a metal cube-like stuff and seti it on the charcoal, and put some of it above so the heat covers all, after like 1.5 its done and tastes terrific.
Cary Black

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: The best liquids to use for Continous Infusion Cooking Reply with quote

I wrote the book Zen and the Art of Cooking Beer-Can Chicken: The Definitive Guide (www.redowlpublications.com).

In the course of writing the book, I had the pleasure of trying a host of beers, wines, soda pops, juices...etc as the liquid source in the beer-can or in the liquid resevoir of the infusion cooker (ie: Poultry Pal).

I found that the more hoppy and robust the beer the larger the impact on the flavor of the bird. My best results were achieved using such beers as Rogue's Smokehouse Ale, or Great Divide's Doubled Hopped IPA. Both excellent. At the end of the day, the most significant benefit of the continuous infusion process (beer-can technique) is the continuous flux of moisture which moistens the bird as it cooks and allows the bird to cook a bit faster. If you desire to impart flavor through your liquid medium, you need to use beers such as what I discussed, and/or liquids with a strong aromatic aspect. Either way the continuous infusion process makes for a superlative chicken or turkey.
Johndi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: You proved your expectations. Reply with quote

Just a thought, but unless you do a double blind test your expectations will influence your experiment.
A Food Year

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Day 116 Reply with quote

I just made beer can chicken last night on A Food Year and somebody linked me to this. I found that the chicken tasted different than it would as if it were just cooked regularly, but it was hard to tell how much of that was from the beer, the rub or because it was my first time making it on the grill :o
chuie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Beer butt chicken Reply with quote

Haven't tried it, but one recipe I read instructs you to pour off half the beer (or juice or soda--they mention root beer as an interesting alternative) and poke holes in the sides of the can. The liquid is mixed with various spices and put in a spray bottle to baste the chicken periodically as it cooks. Their preferred cooking method was a kettle grill, I believe.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: You proved your expectations. Reply with quote

If he expected one to taste better than the other, then seeing which was which might taint the results, but if he's expecting them to taste the same, how is blind testing going to make any difference?
poultry pal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: beer can cooking Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
I am the inventor of the Poultry Pal cooker used in your test and have worked with Carey Black on beer can recipes. In my experience
the last few years on this subject, use the most flavorful beer or steaming liquid you prefer, that is the great thing of cooking this way --you can still eat your less than perfect results!
Experiment with rubs, spices and liquids till you get what you enjoy!
I will soon be adding an instuctional video on the Poultry Pal web site along with beef / pork roasts and pot pie instructions.
May I also incourage people to try brined turkey on the grill, this beats deep fried hands down!
Thanks and keep cooking in good health,
Tom Simon
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the beer flavor don't penetrate the chest cavity, why would one bother to use seasonning. Might as well use only water.
cz

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: www.czech-info.net Reply with quote

http://czech-info.net

check this site, good info about czech beer and another info for travelers to Czech. Prague pubs, prices, linving in czech etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Old Beer vs New Beer Reply with quote

Not to doubt a 'professional' brewer, but if young beer is SO much better than new beer, why are some Belgium beers aged 2 years in the bottle, before drinking? Some Lambics are aged ten.
eliasen

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Aging is sometimes good... Reply with quote

The reason that some Belgian beers taste better with aging is that the yeasts often produce some unwanted chemicals that dissipate with age. For example, I recently brewed a Belgian style Trappist ale, and the popular yeast strain that we used produced a rather strong phenolic taste. (That means it tastes like a Band-Aid.) This is a known effect with the yeast, but this taste weakens with time. It wasn't too good to start with, but is getting better. We'll let it age some more if we can stand to wait that long. Smile You're usually waiting for some bad taste to dissipate, rather than a flavor to get better.

There's a lot of misunderstanding of beer terms above, though. A pilsener is a lager. "Lager" refers to a beer fermented at low temperatures, usually with a bottom-fermenting yeast. An ale is also a beer, but fermented at higher temperatures, usually with a top-fermenting yeast.
sweatervest

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: belgian beer Reply with quote

Belgian beers that can be aged for a long time can be because they are still alive. They contain various microbes and wild yeasts that protect them from the deleterious effects of oxygen in the package. The microorganisms respire any minor amounts of oxygen introduced at packing time. High alcohol content also has a strong preseving effect. Regular single yeast strain, filtered, modern beers do not want the flavours that these microorganisms produce so are out of luck with in-package oxygen defense. Naturally conditioned beers also have this advantage, but the priming yeast is not as long lived as the belgian beer's yeast and bacteria cocktail, and without the other microbes involved to consume the yeast as it dies, a nice beefy marmite flavour eventually develops. Once again high alcohol content can slow this process down remarkably.

I stand corrected. If only trappist beer came in cans Smile
Brad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Beer can chicken Reply with quote

As a ChE, just curious about any toxicity from the printing on the beer can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: