Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbone wrote:
DONT COVER!!! what a reatrted thing to tell people.... no need to cover unless you like boiled meats

Covering is necessary in this recipe. If you don't cover within the first hour the sauce in which the ribs are supposed to be cooking will have dried up and begin to thicken. Soon after, there will be burning.
south texas

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

i made then for my brothers birth day and he loved them thanks
RedHotCard

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Sherry in the recipe. Reply with quote

If you fear using alcoholic beverages in recipes you don't know much about cookery. The alcohol boils off. What remains is the wonderful flavor added to the dish. Sherry and Marsala wines don't have a shelf life. If they are stored tightly capped they are good for years. They add wonderful flavor.
HOGRYDER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: OVEN BAKED RIBS Reply with quote

Haven't tried this yet, but was told for about the 3rd time, to put the Rub on the ribs, wrap in Saran Wrap (or some clingy wrap) then wrap in tin foil, put in fridge for about 8 hours then put in oven and bake (250-300) for about 3 hours. Can't believe the Clear Wrap wouldn't melt all over the ribs. But I keep hearing about how great they are done this way. Any thoughts on this????

[/b]
Princess Fictoria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Baby Back Ribs Recipe Reply with quote

I am a great cook... but I have little experience cooking ribs. I have pork ribs... don't know if they are baby back or old hog back... I took them, frozen mind you because I forgot to remove from deep freeze last night, and put some sea salt, ground black pepper, paprika, and California pepper powder and placed them in a 300 degree grill on a Pam'd cookie sheet. Then I came here and found this thread... so I grabbed a 3/4 full bottle of Barbecue Sauce and, since I did not have any OJ, some lemonade... hey its still citrus juice! I mixed them together and poured over my ribs. I then took a couple sheets of no stick foil and laid them over the top and did my best to tuck them in. I figured a 4 hour cooking time since I started frozen... and the ribs are about 9.4 pounds. So in 2 hours I will check on the ribs and turn the pan so as to insure even cooking. The last 15 minutes or so, I will remove from pan and foil and turn up the heat so the outside will get nice and brown/crisp... if needed. I hope this works and I will let you know if my stumbling attempt is edible! Thanks for all your wonderful comments! Sincerely, Princess Fictoria
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: Can't believe the Clear Wrap wouldn't melt all over the ribs. But I keep hearing about how great they are done this way. Any thoughts on this????

no, it doesn't melt - wrapped inside the foil, the moisture in the ribs keeps the internal temp below melting.

otoh, you can remove it and just use foil. actually I rub/foil them from the start - skipping the cling wrap altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never cooked ribs before but tried this recipe and received may compliments from my guests. The ribs were tender and delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big smile These Ribs came out fantastic,I used the B sauce and orange juice one,I also used baby back pork ribs......Ate a half rack and saved some for later.Cook time I used was 3 hours.
Molock67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Easy Bake spare Ribs Reply with quote

This one is easy. Massage the ribs in Extra Virgin Olive oil. Put a heavy rub on each side. Take half a stick of butter and cut into thirds and place evenly throughout the ribs on the bone side. One on each end and one in the middle. Wrap in aluminum foil and cook for 3 1/2 hours on 250 in the oven. Make sure you put a cookie sheet underneath just for insurance. Also, make sure you remove the thin skin on the bone side, or else they will be tough. This recipe is about 5 minutes prep.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Sadly a recipe for just 5% of the world's population Reply with quote

I'm cooking the recipe right now, but why oh why do the tiny minority of the world's population, or even much less than half of the world's English-speaking population forget to include metrics ie. also temperatures in Celsius?
In 2012 I don't just call that ignorance, I call it arrogance.
It's even more ironic when this website calls itself Cooking for Engineers.
One would imagine American engineers have met the the metric system.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly a recipe for just 5% of the world's population Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
In 2012 I don't just call that ignorance, I call it arrogance.

All recipes posted since 2005 are in both U.S. and metric units. I've updated this one on your request.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all temps should be posted in K.

then we'll find out how many engineers are hanging around here.

did I tell you about the "architectural / engineering" /quote "firm" / unquote in Las Vegas that bragged on and on about their extensive CAD capabilities, yet when given a floor plan in meters.decimals thereof they put up a structure that was several inches short on one side?

the only expertise they demonstrated was how to cut rather large I-beams apart and weld in sections to "make them long enough" . . .

so, have American engineers met the metric system? don't bet your building on it !
Penelope

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

Tried the recipe. It is excellent. I went with the four hours and the ribs were perfect.

Sincerely,
Penelope
An engineer who can convert measurements either way Smile
Rib Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Ribs Reply with quote

Fantastic recipe. Made these about two weeks ago, and they were great. Went the four hours, and yes, they were falling off the bone. I am making these again today. This time I think I'll reduce the time to three hours or so, so you can actually pick up a bone with out the meat falling off. For the last half hour or so, I'll crank up the heat (maybe 425-450) to try and get some bark on them this time. My wife and kids absolutely love these ribs. Highly recommend this recipe.
RibFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Ribs 2 ways- Reply with quote

Great tips, too bad the nuts with crappy comments are in here. I wish I didnt have to read around the people who didnt want to learn anything.
Thanks All who posted great tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: