Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef terry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: how to cook ribs Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud You people really need a lesson on ribs!You can use a little liquid smoke and a dry rub..fine.But don't make the ribs look like they just came out of a steamer!You put the ribs in a hot oven(375-400f)for about an hour,uncovered! when the meat starts to shrink from the end of the bones and you have the right color or caramelization,THEN wrap them in foil,(this is the best time to cut them if you'd like)reduce heat to 275-300ff for 2hours.Unwrap them ,lay them out,put your favorite sauce on and put them back in the oven for about 30min.or until your ready to serve.DIS IS DA WAY YOU DO DAT!!!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: brine brine brine brine to get them to fall off the bone Reply with quote

brine your ribs 12 hours in sugar kosher salt and water then steam them in liquid smoke and water for 3 hours, there you go thats how outback steakhouse does it
sjbst17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: The search is over, this recipe is a keeper Reply with quote

I just glazed with Canadian maple syrup at the last step. This recipe is so good and despite the 2 hours min. of braising - really easy. With a kitchen timer anyone could make this recipe. Baste well each time. My thanks Michael for sharing your Chinese cinnamon sauce from your family recipe book!! Really appreciate! Happy eating!
nell0303

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Help....how long to cook oven baby backs- 9 of them at once) Reply with quote

Cooking these on this Sat. a.m ...I need to know how long to bake them and what temp. I have 9 racks to cook. Each rack is about 3 lbs each...wrapped in foil.
I appreciate your input....quick...please help.

thank you very much/nellie Smile
elliej

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: oven baked ribs 2 ways Reply with quote

this recipe works every time for me--

remove silver membrane on back of ribs
slather ribs with your favorite rub
place into rimmed baking pan, meat side up
pour pineapple juice and white wine vinegar (1/2 cup each) onto ribs.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil--place in refrigerator 8-12 hours or overnight.
Take out pan and sit on counter 1/2 hour. Preheat oven to 375F
Remove foil-cook ribs for 30 minutes.
Cover with foil-reduce heat to 325F. Cook for 30 minutes.
Remove foil. Brush favorite BBQ sauce or mop. Cook 20-30 more minutes (if that).
Enjoy!!!!
Katherine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Ribs Recipe Reply with quote

Just tried your recipe for the first time today. Cooked basically the same way you said, only w/cut ribs instead but OMG after about 3-1/2 hours in the oven, then a quick increase in heat to brown the top a little more, (foil off at the end, of course) these ribs were WONDERFUL!!! My partner loved them, I loved them, and guess what? This was my first time making them! I will continue to use this recipe - Thank you so much for putting it out there! Muah!
Mareeves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: oven baked ribs. Reply with quote

I put salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and celery salt on the ribs as a rub and mix half regular and half spicy barbeque sauce in the OJ. My family loves this and the fact they are oven baked is great as we live in England and charcoal is a seasonal item. The fall of the bone and the flavor is great. This is one recipe that I share with whoever asks for it. Thanks Smile [/i][/b]
MK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Fava Beans Reply with quote

...FAVA, not "father" beans. Sheesh.
SakhalinChef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: A small change Reply with quote

I love this recipe, but I regularly make a small change to it. I typically find the barbecue sauce to be sweet enough as is, so I typically omit the orange juice and replace it with half a cup of bourbon or whiskey, and I let the ribs marinade in it overnight, it really adds some nice depth of flavor to the meat.
Texas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Easy Rib Cooking, Easy Clean Up Reply with quote

At the store, get a big rack of spare ribs, go to spice section, get one of McKormicks prepared rubs. They have several, pick one that sounds good to you. I like the Applewood.
Get a laaarge aluminum pan, a roll of aluminum foil wide enough to cover the pan.
Also a jar of Stubbs Barbecue sauce, (It's the best), and a Sunday edition of the newspaper.
Take it home, preheat oven to 275 - 300 degrees. Get the ribs out, wash them off, take the thin membrane off the back of them. Once you get it loose, it will peel off like a thick skin.
Pat them dry with paper towels, put in the pan, coat with the rub. Cover pan with foil. Once oven is to temp, put pan is oven. I usually set the aluminum pan on a cookie sheet or something heavier so I know I can lift it easier because the aluminum pans are usually thin and and not all that sturdy for handling, especially when hot.
Cook the ribs for 4 hrs at 300, 5 hrs at 275. For the last hour of cooking, remove from oven, peel back the foil and pour some of Stubbs sauce on the ribs. Put back in oven for the last hour.
When they're done and you take them out of the oven let them sit for about 10 minutes before you cut into them. As they cool, the moisture in the meat will settle and redistribute evenly.
Take the ribs out of the pan, then take several sections of the newspaper and put it in the liquid left in the pan. Leave it there until it soaks up all the liquid. If you still have liquid in pan after an hr, add more newspaper. This makes disposal of the juices and sauce left in the pan a lot easier and less messy. Once you get all the juice soaked up by the newspaper, you can put the pan and foil in a trash bag without worrying about a lot of messy liquid leaking out of the bag.
There's an inexpensive cat litter made from wood that works good for this also.
I cook all meats in the oven so as to avoid the fats involved with frying, and this allows me to clean up after cooking without a big mess.
This is the easiest way to cook a big rack of spare ribs, and the easiest way to clean up afterwards. Teasing
Foreigner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Beans Reply with quote

My fava taught me how to make them real good!
GRITS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Baked in sauce Reply with quote

If you have to use a premade sauce try Bone Suckin Thicker its awesome for store bought.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was entertaining reading this thread. The save the pigs person was especially funny. Ribs are easy, not rocket science at all. Slow cooking anywhere between 225 and 300 in covered pan with whatever you put in there with them. Rub makes them tastier. I like my homebrewed darker beers as a steam source.
I was thinking about vegan ribs and figure that their ribs may be less gamey since they dont eat meat and may require less spice in the rub but not sure. Sorry... TeeeeHeeee
smdgeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: great recipe Reply with quote

I really like the recipe and enjoyed the thread. Who says engineers are dry? They're not dry at all if you baste them well. Teasing
Jbone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT COVER!!! what a reatrted thing to tell people.... no need to cover unless you like boiled meats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: