Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotBeyondHope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Superb recipe Reply with quote

I've never done ribs in the oven before but with three big racks on sale for a ridiculous low price of $8 couldn't pass 'em up. So instead of digging the BBQ out into the rain, I came across this recipe and am glad I did.
I made minor changes to the recipe starting with the BBQ sauce:
1/3c brown sugar instead of molasses, added 1/3c Jack Daniels, and used 1/2 a med. bulb of garlic instead of a few cloves. Stove-splatter-lickin'-good!
Since there was a bit of fat that was difficult to shave off I boiled the racks for about 10 min prior to baking- eliminated most all of it except about two or three tablespoons visible in the sauce upon completion. I baked them covered for almost 3 hours (they're big thick racks!) then as the spuds and veggies were steaming uncovered and basted every few minutes without turning. Absolutely awesome! Looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow and be the envy of the other staff!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Some comments just aren't that funny! Reply with quote

The comments about asking a pig, just aren't funny. There are serious cooks who are interested in people who have actually tried the recipies.
I don't know why you even publish such nonsence.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Rubber Boots Reply with quote

On April 04, 2007 at 12:18 AM, an anonymous reader said...
Subject: rips
I like to boil the ribs in a pot of water with a rubber boot, than throw out the ribs and eat the boot.

For the love of God, don't you folks know that boots have soles two! Eat the pig, save the boots!

Oh, and the recipe is great!

My tweaks - I use a vinegar-based marinade to tenderize the meat then sub orange marmalade (with orange zest) for the OJ as part of the sauce. Awesome!
DaytonDraughtsman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Oven Ribs Reply with quote

First fill large skillet with water and put on lower rack in oven, for steam heat. Preheat 350F.
Dry rub with brown sugar red and black pepper, salt, onion and garlic powder. Wrap slab in tin foil. Place on rack above skillet. After water in skillet starts to boil turn oven down to 275F. Cook for 3.75 hours then open foil and slather ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook to brown sauce and serve.
Carnivore Woman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Trying these suggestions tonight. Reply with quote

Dear friends, thanks for the informative reading. So many good suggestions. I printed out one recipe to try this evening and will let you know what our dinner guests have to say.

To our vegan contributor, You do know that pigs are omnivorous and certainly would eat your dead carcass if they had the opportunity. Do you also express such hostility to the many completely carnivorous animals on this planet? I suppose you hate cats and all sea life as well? You know they would also eat a pig, dead or alive. We humans just have the intellectual capacity to engineer succulent and enjoyable cooking methods, and of course the use of our handy opposable thumbs. Have a nice day and enjoy your delicious celery sticks.
Sincerely, Carnivore Woman
johnp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: bbq ribs Reply with quote

i think cooking ribs till meat falls of bone is overcooking them. May as well just pork in bbq sause and bake untill done. I enjoy biting the tender but not mushy meat off of the bone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud I just would like people to write how they like the recipe .most people who go on line need advice about something ,i wanted to know how to cook ribs with using a grill this is a good recipe tried it and have to say was very good. and all you want to be comedians stop taking up space and get a life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE YOUR RECIPE Anger T42O7U
simrnz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Laughing Out Loud I just would like people to write how they like the recipe .most people who go on line need advice about something ,i wanted to know how to cook ribs with using a grill this is a good recipe tried it and have to say was very good. and all you want to be comedians stop taking up space and get a life

Ahan, I never cooked ribs with a grill ... well if you say your recipe is tried n tested then it would be a pleasure to give it a try Smile
nowmonmaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: bbq. sauce Reply with quote

spice sauce: tomato sauce,habanero sauce,little root beer,garlic
sea salt,coconut oil,italian herbes... cook stove top
untill nice and smooth... when u put this on ribs, etc.
u will get this...
It makes Pig whistle
Chicken choke and
Fish wish for the Sea...
Ms. Milf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

This is truly the best recipe ever! Although I would like to know where to get a teaspoon of "smoke" I guess I have a lot to learn in the cooking department! Should you need to know about what color shoes go best with that home made apron though...I'm your girl!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>tsp of smoke

there's a product called (generically) liquid smoke.

it's made by condensing the actual smoke from wood chips - carries the flavor.
Hoffster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: It worked Reply with quote

I made this Saturday night and everyone loved it. I did the Chinese version and only had a cinnamon stick which I broke up into pieces. It was enough.
Grand Teton

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Baked/Grilled Ribs Reply with quote

Here's how I do my ribs....combo style.....

Remove membrane off the back side
Rub with lawrys and garlic pepper
Cover tight with foil
Bake for 3ish hours at 225.
Remove from oven, leave covered.
Let sit and become room temp or throw in fridge for hour or so.
Get two basting bowls, one for honey, one for BBQ sauce.
Fire up the grill nice and hot.
Grill for a couple minutes then flip, baste honey on the cooked side,
cook another couple minutes flip and baste other cooked side with honey.
Grill a couple minutes and the honey will crispy up nice, flip and do the same thing with the BBQ Sauce, it will also crispy up.

Convenience of baking, perfection of grilling!

Father beans....hilarious!!! Maybe those against eating meat should be visiting another site...I'm wondering why your on a site about eating meat! Hey MILF...a meat eating female with a great name...bet your hot!
Toccara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Cook Time Reply with quote

If I am baking more than one slab of ribs will the cook time need to be increased?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: