Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we parboil the ribs for a couple of minutes, before you bake low and slow with barbeque sauce of your choice, always comes out mighty fine......

I cook them for two hours in the oven with Emeril's Essence as a dry rub. Then slather on Tony Roma's barbeque sauce and throw them on the grill fro 10 minutes. Baking them with the dry rub really flavors them nicely!

Even better cook the ribs 2 hours at about 250 using youre favorite sauce. Then take them out to the barbeque and finish cooking them using the same sauce for basting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually picked up the basics of that recipe from a newspaper article about 6 years ago. Instead of BBQ sauce, there was an apricot glaze using apricot preserves and the reduction of the braising liquid(white wine and the gelatin from the bone marrow as a thickener). I tried it the first time I made the oven ribs and failed miserably due to the constant stirring required. I am not a patient man and had globs of marrow gelatin in the pan.
It did sound good at the time though.
-Dan

I think the pig wanted to be yummie!

so i think that the rub is a great way to go if you like to fondle your meat before cooking it but as for us ladies that love the way the meat is try to not rub the meat first please ...............................

soak ( literally) in some great sauce and leave the meat in the oven but dont rub it and fondle it that is pure insanity... ty
Bindlestiff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Slightly different approach to ribs Reply with quote

I brown the ribs under the broiler first, then into a slow cooker on low for 8 - 10 hours. About half an hour from the end I brush on the sauce.
Fretless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a variation on this recipe tonight. I used a rack of baby back ribs, a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's original barbeque sauce, and the shredded pulp and juice of a whole fresh mango. Baked in a pan at 300 for 3 hours, flipping after 1 1/2. They came out the sweetest, most tender ribs I've eaten. No knife was required, I ate them with a fork, and they left no mess. I look forward to trying this again with some other variations on fruit. Next, I'm considering pineapple ribs...
checkpoint charlie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: ribs - two ways Reply with quote

don't bother listenin to them other comments. i tried your recipe and it is so-o-o good! two hours, o.j. and b.b.q. sauce - perfekt!
gross gut,
CCdesStasi-Allee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried your recipe tonight... i accidentally sauced it the night before (i'd been looking at too many recipes), so it sat overnight and marinated. I don't know if it made any difference, but they were *perfect*. I got all kinds of compliments on them, and will be making them again before the week is out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can be used as a non-alcoholic substitute for Sherry in the chinese ribs?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much meat should I buy for this recipe?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Best Ribs Ever! Reply with quote

Boil 2 cans beer, 2 cans water, and a teaspoon of smoke. Add salt pepper, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, and one chopped onion. Boil ribs in pot till meat shrinks off the bone 3/4 inches to an inch.

Place ribs in broiler (they are totally cooked at this point from boiling so you just need to brown them)

Brown them till red brown. Cover in bbq sauce and carmalize.

Served best w/ a cold beer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried these today. I put them in at 1:00, went to the kids basketball games and then ate at 5:00. The meat truely did fall off the bones. Shock They were the best "home" ribs I've ever made. They are much juicier than my grilled ribs. I missed the crunchy bits from the grill. Next time I'll reserve some plain BBQ sauce for the end and broil em to perfection! Big smile
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Sherry Substitute Reply with quote

I have used wine vineger mixed with sugar as a substitute for sherry with some sucess. Of course it's not exactly the same flavor but it seems to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: