Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using 100% whole wheat will produce rather dense bread(s)
... some folks call 'em "bricks"

try
1/4 whole wheat - 1 part whole wheat to 3 parts white flour
or max
1/3 whole wheat - 1 part whole wheat to 2 parts white flour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so very much Dilbert for your comments on whole wheat I will definitely make the adjustment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we swap walnuts for some other nuts???
tmiller51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Just tried it Reply with quote

I just made this exactly per the recipe and it's really good. I'd still like to find an even denser recipe but I will definitely make this again.
Sue F.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: To moisten hard edges Reply with quote

If your banana bread ever comes out great except it's too brown on the outside edges . . . after bread has cooled, place it in a ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight -- it will be evenly moist in the morning, no more "hard crust."
fotopoulos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Made a tripple batch today. I ran out of white sugar and substituted with brown. Incredible little sweet crispness to the crust. Try it..truly fabulous banana nut bread.
Sally

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Joy of Cooking Reply with quote

My go-to banana bread recipe is in the Joy of Cooking - the edition before the current one. It makes the highest loaf I've ever seen - moist and cakey, not small, dark or dense. I like walnuts, so I make it with nuts. After it's cooled, a slice toasted with butter is ... a religious experience. Cheers.
ElioraImmanuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Banana Bread Reply with quote

I use freshed ground flour...wheat or spelt. Instead of white sugar, I use sucanat...it adds a fabulous maple flavor! I always double the recipe and use 3 cups of mashed bananas for 2 loaves. I just bake an hour or a little more...until a toothpick comes out clean. I use non-stick spray for the pan.
Morti Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Great Banana Bread Reply with quote

I made this recipe x 6, but in 5 loaf pans. The bread rose to nice rounded tops.

While I blended ingredients together for all 6 loaves, I added the ingredients one loaf at a time (i.e., recipe calls for 1 tsp of salt, I added 6 x 1 tsp of salt rather than 2 Tbls.)

The only variations I used in this recipe are:

1) I like the cooked flavor of vanilla so I added an extra 2 tsps for a total of 8 tsps of vanilla.

2) I like both walnuts and chocolate chips so I added equal 1/2 cups of chocolate chips for a total of 1 cup of nuts/chips; and

3) after chopping the nuts there was a fair amount of fine, almost powdery, chopped nuts at the bottom of the bowl, I chopped the remainder of the chocolate chips to about the same fineness, added about 1/3 cup of sugar, mixed them all together and sprinkled it on the top of the loaves before baking. It makes a nice look and a bit of a crunch to the tops.

This was some of the very best banana bread I've ever made! It tastes wonderfully and is perfectly moist/dense. The recipe says bake for 55 mins. @ 350. It took approximately 1 1/4 hours to bake. I surmise that the discrepancy in the time is due to the amount of batter in the loaf pans. I baked 4 loaves in the oven at once then the final loaf by itself; either way it took approximately 1 1/4 hours.

Great recipe! Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I baked my banana bread for about 52 minutes at 350. It was a little overbaked, in my opinion - when I inserted the toothpick at 52 minutes, it came out clean. Next time I'll guard it more carefully. The flavor is fantastic though. I love eating it cold with cream cheese.
Fauzi0008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Butter query Reply with quote

the butter that should be used for banana nut bread... should it be the regular butter or unsalted butter?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>slated on unsalted

doesn't matter, there is so little salt in "salted" you're unapt to taste any difference.

there are no "official regulations" re salt content, but typically it's a 1/4 teaspoon in 1 stick (i.e 1/4 pound) of butter.

bananas 'themselfs' got way more salt than that
CHEFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Pink cooked Bananas Reply with quote

On July 25, 2006 at 04:33 PM, Guest Jacki (guest) said...
Subject: Query about banana loaf

Hi There

A year ago I made a delicious banana loaf, where I mashed the banana until smooth for the recipe, But recently saw a recipe where you chop the banana into chunks then fold into bread mixture... once baked and cooled, when I sliced it open , I noticed that the banana patched in the loaf were purple !! Does anyone know if this is a normal reaction? I immediatley baked a second loaf to see if I had perhaps done something wrong, but the same thing happened!
It still tastes good though. Can anyone shed a little light on my confusion?
Sad Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have made a couple of banana loafs with golden syrup & a sliced banana in the bottom & found using ripe bananas are fine but the greener the banana the more pinky/purple the banana goes something to do with the sugars & the potassium in the unripe banana.
Has anyone else found the same?
BananaTuesday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Best bread ever 5 years running Reply with quote

My college roommate discovered this recipe back in 2006, and it graced our kitchen table one stress-filled Tuesday. For some reason, it was baked the next several weeks on Tuesday, and became somewhat of a tradition (still is!) amongst ourselves and several other friends. We've tried various recipes over the years, but this is the one we always come back to. I've made this countless times for guests and to bring to gatherings, and I'm continually asked "where'd you get the recipe?!" My only alternation - chocolate chips instead of walnuts. Thanks for such a great recipe!!
tracy@chinesefood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: bread Reply with quote

so much like bread....all kinds of bread...banana nut bread...looks great...I will try to do it at home... Teasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: