Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jklaes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: slight variation Reply with quote

please change the 1/ c flour to say 1/2 cup !!! i put a total of two cups of flour and ruined my banana bread.. thanks.
ma hug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: pan prep for banana bread Reply with quote

After buttering bottom and sides of loaf pan, dust with cinnamon sugar instead of flour. Bread will have a crunchy cinnamon-toasty crust on the bottom and sides.
meems58

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Cream cheese nut banana bread Reply with quote

This is the only Banana Nut Bread recipe I use (with the orange glaze) and although it sounded like a strange combination at first; it tastes absolutely heavenly! The cream cheese gives it a very smooth but rich flavor. As a matter of fact I'm on my way to the kitchen to make some for the upcoming holiday. It also freezes well if you wanted to make some ahead for gift giving. Give it a try!
Gambolpuddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: banana nut bread spanish variation Reply with quote

Hi! I've made this bread a couple of times by now, always succesfully. The first time I was out of butter, but I remembered sometimes olive oil was used for cakes here, so I tried. My version of the bread is:

2 bananas
A bunch of nuts, yes...
6 TBsps of olive oil
100 gr of sugar
Vanilla extract
+/- 170 gr of self raisin flour
2 eggs

And no variations when cooking it. Have a try, it's so delicious and moist ;-)
Christina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the recipe! Reply with quote

I had stuck a couple of bananas in the freezer so they wouldn't go bad, thinking, "I should make banana bread." I had never made it before, so I wasn't too sure what to do. I followed this recipe as written and it turned out great! Not too dense, not too cakey, not too bready, not too dry - it was just right. I'd recommend that people start checking their loaf before 55 minutes, though, if it looks done - my toothpick came out totally clean after about 45-50 minutes. Thanks again for the excellent recipe!
kz59

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: spiced up banana bread Reply with quote

for a little variety, try some powdered cardamom in your banana bread. i use 1 level tsp. - the proportions for my recipe are pretty close to the one above, but with more batter, so try 3/4 tsp. if using the above quantities. it's an unusual spice, but i think it works really well with bananas.
sisro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I used this recipe a few weeks ago. This bread is great.Thanks.
natalie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! =D i tried making the bread but encountered a few problems...

1. the whole top layer of the bread burnt (i followed the correct temperature settings!)
2. the mixture inside started oozing out from one side of the baking pan.. when the top layer was cooked

i was thinking, is it because of the number of eggs i put in.. in your recipe you indicted, "2 large eggs (250g)".. but when i weighed 250g worth of eggs, it turned out to be 4 eggs.. probably the eggs here in singapore are much smaller than those over there.. does that mean that one egg of yours weighed 125g?? that must be a massive egg! hahaha! =D

my bread mixture seemed alittle "watery" when everything was mixed it.. i'm not sure if it's meant to be that way because it's my first time making bread..

in the end i just removed the burnt layer, and chucked the bread back into the oven to bake.. and it still turned out yummy.. =D
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natalie wrote:
i was thinking, is it because of the number of eggs i put in.. in your recipe you indicted, "2 large eggs (250g)".. but when i weighed 250g worth of eggs, it turned out to be 4 eggs..

2 large eggs is about 100 g. 2 large bananas is about 250 g. The only mention of 250 g in the recipe is for the bananas.
natalie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no! how very embarassing.. hahaha! ok thank you for pointing that out! =D
Krylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: breakfast bread Reply with quote

I had two goals for making banana bread:
1. Using up the bunch of lady finger bananas from my backyard, and
2. Making something relatively healthy that I can eat quickly in the morning.

So I tried the above with the following changes:
1. No sugar, substitute 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup unsulphured blackstrap molasses (--> more potassium and iron)
2. Substitute whole wheat flour

The molasses made for some very moist bread, although I needed to double the baking soda to account for its acidity as well as add 15 minutes to the cook time. Additionally lady fingers are so sweet to begin with that you don't really need to wait for them to turn brown. Overall a success.

Vegans tend to use bananas as a binder substitute for eggs when making things like brownies (which, coincidentally, is insanely good w/bananas). I'm sure It wouldn't be hard to leave out the eggs/butter in this recipe, assuming you used molasses or apple butter (as suggested above).
Ray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: nice recipe Reply with quote

I had a few extra bananas and I was looking for a good banana bread recipe, but wanted to make it a little more healthful, so I basically used a similar recipe but used half splenda and half sugar. Also substituted vegetable oil instead of butter and it turned out very well.

I definitely want to do it again but make it even healthier by substituting something for the oil. I've used applesauce before so that is always an option, but I was also considering low or nonfat yogurt. Any idea how that might turn out?
Ray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: one more thing... Reply with quote

I love the way you setup the recipe cards.... such a concise way to represent the recipe.
eunjoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: amazing. Reply with quote

this recipe.. is amazing. i adore it with all my heart. my bananas were not brown-spot ripe and i was slightly worried and added a pinch more sugar.

came out... FANTASTIC. thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

family secret for banana nut bread-

Add crushed pineapple. It keeps the bread unbelievably moist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: