Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imenended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: DELICIOUS!!!!!! Reply with quote

I made this bread today, is fantastic, is delicious....
Thank for this recipe
Wickyd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Addicted Reply with quote

This is my second recipe from this site, I have it in the oven right now. My first was the pumpkin pie, I made one for Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago and my girlfriend loved it so much she begged me to make another one the next week. She didn't even used to like pumpkin pie. We both love banana nut bread, so I couldn't wait to start this one.
I do have a question, my gf and I were discussing this: she says baking powder never goes bad and told me to use the one in the fridge (the one we use for odor-absorbing), but I couldn't imagine that it would still be good for cooking so i went out and bought a new box. She won't stop telling me that I'm anal about my (attempts at) cooking. Was she right?

P.S. I LOVE Cooking for Engineers, I'm a computer geek by profession and the directions for all the dishes are perfect for a step by step guy like me!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Addicted Reply with quote

Wickyd wrote:
I do have a question, my gf and I were discussing this: she says baking powder never goes bad and told me to use the one in the fridge (the one we use for odor-absorbing), but I couldn't imagine that it would still be good for cooking so i went out and bought a new box. She won't stop telling me that I'm anal about my (attempts at) cooking. Was she right?

Baking powder and baking soda last a long time (typically, a couple years) and in a dry environment, but will lose it's efficacy if it comes in contact with moisture. The open box of baking soda (I assume it's baking soda and not baking powder) in your fridge is probably not as potent as a fresh box.
howwhatwhywoman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Cooking for Engineers Reply with quote

Smile Thank goodness for Google! I needed a fast recipe for Banana Nut Bread to carry to work tomorrow - first site I landed on was Cooking for Engineers. Now I have spent so much time here, I'm going to be up late baking! I am a certified foodie, and adore the art of cooking. My scales will agree to that fact. Thanks for your work - I'll be back!
v216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: sugar-free Reply with quote

What alterations would be needed to make this without the added sugar (e.g., more flour)? Everyone says your recipe is "not to dry, not to moist"--I'd hate to ruin it! :-) Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: slight variations Reply with quote

When I make these (as muffins) I always but in an extra half a banana, replace 1/3 of the white flour with wheat stone ground flour, replace 1/3 of the white sugar with brown sugar, add in an extra 1/4 tsp vanilla, and top with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I am at 5800' and this really helps make the muffins moist and flavorful. Usually if you mess with baking recipes they turn out funky, but these changes don't effect baking (~20 min)
Mavis

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: BAKING PAN Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using a non-stick baking loaf pan. Is dusting flour and butter still require? Please advise.

Thanks.
Mavis

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: PERFECT BANANA BREAD Reply with quote

Thank you for the super receipe! I tried baking two loaves yesterday and it turned out perfect. I followed the amount of ingredients used exactly with no alterations. Infact, it tasted better if kept overnight. I like the tips of keeping over-riped banana in the freezer and can bake it anytime we like it. By the way, two more loaves are baking in my oven now.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: BAKING PAN Reply with quote

Mavis wrote:
I am using a non-stick baking loaf pan. Is dusting flour and butter still require? Please advise.

I prefer to butter and dust the pan even if it is non-stick. It's a guaranteed easy release then.
Super"Baker"G

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: For easy Release of Bread from Pan Reply with quote

For those who are Tired of greasing and dusting their pans, and still end up with broken bread Loafs

For any kind of loaf bread recipe,which calls for greasing and flouring the loaf pan, try this little trick.

Invert your bread loaf pan, take a large rectangle piece of heavy duty Aluminum Foil, and put it on the raised top of your pan(which has been inverted). Now press and shape with your hands, remove the foil and put the loaf pan right side up.

Carefully put the foil insid the pan, reshaping with fingers and securing, so the foil completely lines the pan. Make sure to have a little extra foil on the edges, and fold under. Now you can use a cooking spray to coat the inside of your bread loaf pan, pour you batter and bake.

After you bread is done, leave you bread on a cooling rack for 10 minutes or so. Now you can release the foil from the edges with you fingers, lift up you bread and the let it cool. You may now loosen the foil around the loaf care fully, and remove the foil.
CSTannen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: recipe card Reply with quote

I love the format of your recipe cards. Your recipes are awesome too. Smile
birdie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: possible topping Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I made an applecake with a topping of a mixture of pecan nuts, chopped, demerara sugar (a coarse brown sugar - I don't know if it has a different name in the US) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp) sprinkled on top then drizzled with maple syrup. It was great on my applecake and I think it would be good on banana cake too. Enjoy!
Marcos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: The best recipe ever... Reply with quote

This recipe has been the most helpful I've found... I live in Ecuador and my wife loves it when I cook this for her.

I loved the raph at the end of the recipe... indeed it's for engineers!

To whomever posted the recipe: congratulations!

Thank you.
Marcos Sifrin
Quito, Ecuador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a loaf of this banana nut bread and it turned out wounderful thank you for the recipe
jklaes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Hana Banana - Nut Loaf Reply with quote

the very first comment on this page is about the hana banana nut loaf. i followed the recipe.. wondering if the last 1/ c flour was actually a 1/2 cup. initially i put in a 1/2 cup and pondered if the accident was the / or if the 2 was missing. instead of doing more research i added another 1/2 cup of flour for a grand total of 2 cups. which is WRONG. please dont repeat this mistake. i've ruined not only perfectly good banana's but macadamia nuts too !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: