Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Variation Reply with quote

I have tried quite a few banana bread recipes and the Joy of Cooking Banana Nut Bread recipe is by far the best. However, as in any good recipe, I feel it needs slight alteration. Here is a easy improvement for a more moist, flavorful and fun loaf. Good for parties and everyday snacking!

3 over ripe Banana's or frozen and then thawed (no one will notice how bad they looked before they were cooked!). Mashed/creamed.
6 Tbs. (90 mL) butter melted
1 tsp. (5 mL) Pure Mexican Vanilla
2 large eggs
1-1/3 cups (167 g) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (130 g) sugar (Or just over)
1/2 tsp. (2.3 g) baking soda
1/4 tsp. (1.2 g) baking powder
1/2 tsp. (3 g) salt
1/2 cup (70 g) Milk Chocolate Chips
Top with rainbow sprinkles for more color and a sweet crunch.

Simply cream wet ingredients together top with dry, mix until smooth and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350f. Toothpick will not come out dry and yes that is okay! Contents will cook after removed from oven; leaving the loaf moist. Best served immediately or after being covered and aloud to set over night.

Hope this variation brings color and enjoyment to your life!
wt4bm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, I'll enjoy this recipe. I can't wait to taste it!
anon54123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Needs... Reply with quote

I had high hopes, as I loved Chu's cheesecake recipe. Alas, this was not what I'd hoped for. IMO this recipe needs:

Lemon Zest
Sour Cream
A touch more vanilla

My chief complaints are its overly subtle flavor and dry-ish crumb. The recipe was followed exactly and I am always successful baking. I will definitely not make again.
emilyeeg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: best banana bread EVER Reply with quote

I found this recipe 5 or 6 years ago and I still make it regularly. It is the perfect banana bread, and it is so easy to make. Like others, I always get asked for the recipe. Thanks!
thallone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: mashing Reply with quote

One thing I have found is that the stand mixer makes a very good banana masher. When I'm making banana bread I put the butter and sugar in the bowl, cream then as best as possible, add the banana then the egg, then the dry ingredients. This also makes it easier for my children to help out and gives a consistent smoothness.
zulroxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: eggs Reply with quote

If I wanted to have a fluffy--[er] bread, could I beat/froth the egg whites before adding?
Dee Dee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: banana bread Reply with quote

My grandmas banana bread always had these little black things throughout the loaf. Does anyone know what these are? I follow her recipe and mine doesn't have them. Hope someone has the answer so I can get some sleep. hahaha Dee Dee
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banana seeds.

typically overripe bananas are used - fresh banana seeds are a neutral color, they darken as the banana gets softer.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished baking this bread and I have a question is the bread suppose to look moist inside? ? I followed the recipe. I think I probably put little more banana I didn't measure it (I used on long banana and 2 smaller ones). Is it suppose to be like that I do like moist bread but not sure if it's suppose to look like that. I did have a slice it taste good and it's moist but not sure it suppose to look moist inside
If you can comment and let me know it be great first time baking the bread.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - it is moist inside.

should not be "gooey" - but moist is good

the usual 'test' is sticking a toothpick/skewer to the center - it should come out clean. if there's any 'goo' on the wood, it needs more bake time.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look gooey..... I wish I could post a picture. It come out like some bread not gooey tho.
breadlover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: love bread Reply with quote Delete this post

i love bread but now sweet one ! i love whole wheat .
and as a greenhand ,i got a great scale on line . very useful and great for a beginner .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: