Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Bars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Sunkist Lemon Bars mix? I have yet to find any lemon bar recipe that tastes 80% as good. The current one from Cooks Illustrated is OK. But really, if you haven't tried this mix, please get a box and do an experiment.

For an image of the box, go to the bottom of this page:
http://www.sunkist.com/products/united_states.asp

Thanks for posting the recipe though. Now back to the kitchen to see now to improve it (in the direction of mimicking Sunkist)... Teasing

Maverick

I just found your site, and I love the format used for recipes. BUT: how do you print one? Any help would be appreciated.
Michael Chu

There is a printer friendly link (right befoe the comments begin at the end of each article) that expands the width of the article and gets rid of ads - you can also toggle comment and pictures in that mode. Printing on a color printer doesn't work as well as on B&W. Try making your printer print in black and white if you have a color printer (the browser won't attempt to print the background and will render the text as black).
Michael Chu

re: Sunkist lemon bars

I did try them. They are pretty good. Taste a bit fake to me, but that's just my taste. We may need to replace the fresh lemon juice with bottled or dehydrated. The shortbread in the sunkist also uses shortening instead of butter, which may make a difference. I felt the flavor of the shortbread was obviously not as buttery and the lemon filling was a bit sweeter than the Cook's Illustrated recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I made this vegan.

For the base, I used the same mixture but with Earth Balance margarine for the butter. I did this with a hand mixer and it worked just as well, though it probably took a bit longer.

For the lemon bit, I used a vegweb recipe. The recipe is similar, but of lesser volume, so I doubled it.

Mix together:

* 6 eggs (EnerG Egg Replacer)
* 1 1/2 cup sugar
* lemon zest and juice of six small lemons
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoon flour

Try to incorporate the froth from the egg replacer as much as possible since otherwise it'll cook faster and form a skin on top.

Pour on top of the base and cook for 30-35 minutes (10-15 minutes longer than this recipe). The topping won't look solid since egg replacer is mostly starch; it will thicken as it cools.

The base of these bars is really crunchy and nice. Thanks Michael!

Can the lemon bars be frozen?
fwendy_repost

As American cup measures are widely available in the UK, I don't think a lack of either metric or Imperial weight conversions will hamper a dedicated cook.

Not sure if they're available in the rest of Europe though.

Great site by the way!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the recipe my family uses is from sunkist, I tried the box version and it does not compare. The best lemon bars are made with fresh squeezed lemons, mmm. I love lemon bars, I find that they are the only edible form of lemon which I generally dislike, weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, since you have thee best recipe from Sunkiss... then why not share it?
Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Metrication Reply with quote

Quote:
Without changing how I post articles, I can't think of a simple solution to presenting U.S. and metric sizes. I don't want to burden myself with too much extra work when writing articles because I know that as soon as it stops being fun and becomes a chore, I'll stop writing.

You could use a stylesheet to get the content to display differently, or javascript to dynamically alter the content. Either way could allow the user to enter a preference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: milk and lemon juice? Reply with quote

Hi, Michael!

I like your site, and have made Tiramisu using your recipe, which turned out wonderfully!

I have a question about lemon bars. When you stir lemon jouice and milk into the filling mixutre, doesn't the milk curdle? Is it OK if it does? Cann't wait to try your recipe, I love lemon bars.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: milk and lemon juice? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I have a question about lemon bars. When you stir lemon jouice and milk into the filling mixutre, doesn't the milk curdle? Is it OK if it does? Cann't wait to try your recipe, I love lemon bars.

It's okay if it does. The top layer is actually a type of lemon curd.
CRINKLEBUG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Lemon Curd Reply with quote

Mmmmm...Do you have a recipe for lemon curd? And scones??? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: lemonpeel Reply with quote

hi fellow lemonlovers!

loved the recipe and the family loved it too....no need to wrap up leftovers because there were not any !
A note on lemon peel - I dont know about the US - but in europe its not safe to use the peel of conventionally farmed lemons or other citrus fruit. More then once DDT, Lindan and other dangerous pestizides have been found IN the peel....scrubbing the fruits wont work here.
So now for me its only organic citrus fruits, especially when I want to use the peel.

regards and again thank you for the recipe

Susanne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the recipe. It has a really strong lemon flavor, which is a bit too strong for my taste (I even left out the lemon zest). I tried making it in a 9x9 pan instead, so I made 3/4 of the recipe, but I had to cook the filling an extra ~10 min (so total around 30 min). Just thought I'd share that. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: