Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cranberry Sauce
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Cranberry Sauce Reply with quote

Article Digest:
What holiday turkey dinner would be complete without the a sweet and tangy sauce made from fresh cranberries? Sure, the tin can shaped jelly mound of Ocean Spray is becoming more and more often the norm at holiday dinners, but making cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries to too easy and too tasty not to.

A simple cranberry sauce can be made with roughly 2 parts cranberries, 1 part water and 1 part granulated sugar by weight. So, begin with a one pound bag of fresh cranberries, one cup water, and one cup granulated sugar. The sugar can be increased to 1-1/2 cup if a sweeter sauce is desired.

Rinse the berries in a colander and remove and stems or bad berries. There's no need to spend too much time on this step. You can also use frozen cranberries - just rinse them and don't worry about defrosting them.

In a medium saucepan, heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Then bring the syrup up to a boil and pour in the cleaned berries. Adjust the heat so the mixture maintains a simmer and cook until all the berries pop or crack open, about five minutes to seven minutes. Take the sauce off the heat at this point, or simmer it down to the desired thickness. Remember the sauce will thicken a little while cooling. Chill overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

While simmering the berries, additional ingredients can be added for more flavoring such as orange zest, flavored liquors, or spices like cinnamon.

Cranberry Sauce (about 12 servings)
1 lb. (450 g) fresh cranberriessimmer until berries split
1 cup (235 mL) waterdissolveboil
1 cup (200 g) sugar
Copyright Michael Chu 2004
BFW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love fresh cranberry sauce. My alternative doesn't use water:

replace water with juice from one orange

(and optionally)
add orange zest from orange
walnuts
touch of fresh ginger

ps. Your feed is still not working.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can add is a small can of crushed pineapple, but look for pineapple in its own juice, not syrup.

I have also had some good cranberry sauce which had diced jalapenos.

If you don't want anything as drastic as pineapple or jalapeno, I would suggest an apple, diced. A Granny Smith or a Cortland (two apples also good for making apple pie) would do nicely.

I often freeze the fresh cranberries to ensure I have some for the holidays. I have discovered that the sauce won't thicken if the frozen berries are thawed first. I just put them in straight from the freezer. Last year I found a recipe for cranberry chutney on the internet and it was really good as an alternative.
fanatic

I've been exploring the cranberry recently too, especially since it's packed with phytochemicals. This is a timely post ... Thank you! I've also replaced the water with orange juice ... with good results. I've used cranberry juice too, which gives tarter results. I've taken to whizzing the sauce in the food processor when still warm. It gives a smoother consistency and seems to distribute the pectin more, helping to thicken the sauce.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our traditional recipe for cranberry sauce is 4 cups berries, 3 cups sugar, and two cups water....boil and then simmer until it's jam-like......

for the best sauce, use wild lingonberries (we call them low-bush cranberries).......
Frankenblonde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: the sauce Reply with quote

I really like the jellied log from a can, but I've just moved to a farm so now I'm expected to make everything from scratch.

I came across your site while looking up basic recipes for "the sauce" and I love it! I used to be an executive secretary for our sheriff's head honchos, but now I stay home and raise children & animals (which are really the same thing, aren't they?). In researching the best and simplest recipes for everyday as well as holiday cooking, I've found "Cooking for Engineers" works well with my mentality. I thank you, and my husband and kids thank you. Wink
achaplin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: pooop! Reply with quote

Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing Teasing
you recipec taste like sh**t its badddd! you fat american pigs!
onk onk! i hear bacon!
andycwb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFW wrote:
I too love fresh cranberry sauce. My alternative doesn't use water:

Neither does mine: use red wine for the liquid (or 3/4 wine, 1/4 water). Also experiment with cloves and allspice in the mix.

Andy
Hunter Cashdollar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: homemade sauce Reply with quote

It would be great to finally taste some truly homemade cranberry sauce this year. Hunter Cashdollar
Christina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Cranberry relish Reply with quote

My family wandered from the cooked cranberry sauces years ago. Our favorite is a fresh cranberry relish.

1 bag fresh cranberries (washed if needed)
1 whole orange including peel (with the top stem part cut off, and the bottom too if it's tough and fiberous)
1 cup sugar (to taste)

Cut orange into wedges, blend orange, cranberries, and 1/2 cup sugar until it reaches a relish consistancy. Add more sugar to taste.

Super simple and awesome with the turkey dinner! :-)
JUDY B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE..I SOMETIMES ADD ORANGE MARMALADE WITH THE SUGAR AND ORANGE JUICE INSTEAD OF THE WATER. I USUALLY TASTE THE SAUCE TO SEE IF ITS THE SWEETNESS I LIKE AND ADJUST. HERE IS MY RECIPE:
1 PKG CRANBERRIES 1/2 C SUGAR 1/2 C MARMALADE 1 c WATER
ENJOY ! JUDY B.
JUDY B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK MANY OF YOU WOULD ENJOY MY RECIPE FOR FRESH CRANBERRY RELISH IT IS DELICIOUS AND TAKES VERY LITTLE TIME

1 BAG CRANBERRIES 2 SM WHOLE ORANGES 2 SM RED APPLES
1 C. SUGAR 1 CUP WALNUTS (OR PECANS) 2 T MARMALADE

REMOVE STEMS AND SEEDS FROM FRUIT AND CUT INTO QUARTERS, THEN CHOP IN EACH FRUIT SEPARATELY AND PLACE THEM IN A LARGE BOWL AFTER BEING CHOPPED ...ADD MARMALADE & SUGAR ... STIR UNTIL WELL BLENDED..COVER & REFRIGERATE UNTIL READY TO SERVE.
ENJOY ! JUDY B.
bluswmn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Cranberries for diabetics Reply with quote

I love cranberries and recently learned that a 1/2 cup of uncooked berries is considered a "free food" when included in a diabetic diet. (diabetics can have a couple of servings of "free foods" a day -which are foods that don't have to be counted as they are low in calories and fatfree) For a Quick Fix I pour a cup of cranberries in a bowl with 1/3 cup of water and nuke it for 3 minutes. Stir in a sugar free substitute and let cool. Makes 2 servings and is delish!
maryadavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if I am able to do this. Anyway, I'm writing it down and hope I can bribe my husband into doing it. The role of a housewife never suited me but I must confess it suits him better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: