Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Baked Cinnamon Apple
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Recipe File: Baked Cinnamon Apple Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Another easy but fun dessert is this baked apple with a cinnamon sugar core. The tart apple flavor blends well with the familiar flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon spice.

Start off with 1 Tbs. brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, and a tart apple such as a Granny Smith variety. If you're preparing more than one apple, assemble a tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for each apple. Using a fork, blend the cinnamon and sugar together, breaking up any lumps.
[IMG]

Cut the apple into eighths. Do this by cutting through the apple from one pole to the other and repeating with the halves and quarters. Take care to keep the pieces in order.
[IMG]

Core apple slices by cutting a wedge out of the core remaining in each slice. Also trim off the stem and flower remains (calyx).
[IMG]

Using one hand to hold sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the apple, position pieces in the cupped foil to form almost a whole apple (leaving two slices out).
[IMG]

Scoop the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture into where the core of the apple used to be. Compress the mixture as need to fit. It's okay to leave a small mound since we'll be covering it up with the remaining two slices of apple.
[IMG]

Place the final two pieces and wrap tightly with the aluminum foil to hold everything in place. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350°F or on a hot grill for 10 minutes to cook the apple through. Unwrap and serve with the sugar sauce remaining in the core. This is a fun treat to produce at a casual get together or BBQ since your guests can help unwrap the apples from their aluminum casings (and if they don't know the apples are filled, it makes for a nice surprise!)

[IMG]

Baked Cinnamon Apple
Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C)
1 Granny Smith appleslice into eighthscorereassemble and stuffwrap in aluminum foilbake 350°F (170°C) 15-20 min.
1 Tbs. (14 g) brown sugarmix
1/4 tsp. (0.5 g) ground cinnamon
Copyright 2005 Michael Chu
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this is clever.

I wonder if you could do something similar by quartering a slightly underripe peach/nectarine.

I really like the idea of precutting the fuit, coring it and droping a suprise in the middle.

Might you be able to do something with cold fruits as well? Such as cutting an apple in half, gutting it with a mellon baller and filling it with ice cream. (maybe some gummy worms?)

Actually what I may do, for this passover, is to cut an apple across it's width, twoards the top, and hollow it out, then fill it with charoset (or alternatively a waldorf)

In general it seems like a nice way to serve chutneys and salads.
snekse_repost

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've seen this done before by coring the apple, but never by cutting it first.
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use apple corer fill with mix of brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins.

microwave for 5 mins more or less depending on the size & density of apple. serve with vanilla ice cream.
eiresicilia

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add raisins to filling, very yummy

to make in microwave use applecorer and fill hole
microwave until bubbly serve over vanilla ice cream
sasho

What about the BUTTER?! You MUST have butter with it! SmileSmile
Stacey

so simple...i think i might even be able to do this...maybe
lightme

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks delicious, ill be expetcing more articles on this so good blog

Maybe you can't try whit a fruit salad over this apples Big smile
Aurorealis

I must say, the way you diagram the recipies in a table is awesome!
Danyel

mmmmmmm. those apples look good.

question: am I the only person who read the title of this blog at first as "cooking for foreigners"? : )
Sammy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post took me right back into my childhood...mmn...cinnamon apples!
an anonymous reader

Made this tonite and my gang at home loved it. I would recommend it Just for the wonderful smell.

Many Thanks
ke

I can't wait to try this. I love this site so much!
kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple and delicious.
i made three for a BBQ at my flat and they were popular. it would be nice if they were a little cleaner to eat, i got all stickey fingered, but i think ill make them again next BBQ around.
Trizor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd like to try is a pear hollowed out and filled with gorgonzola and walnuts and pecans.

With a Port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: