Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undesirable Ads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Undesirable Ads Reply with quote

I made some changes to how ads are being handled on Cooking For Engineers. You may have noticed that they are a bit more prominent (having mored them on to the left and made them into rectangles instead of vertical strips). That's because I need the ads to keep the site going and they don't do me any good hidden away where people don't see them. After moving them, it seems that people are noticing them a bit more and actually clicking on them. Unfortunately, I've also noticed that we've been getting some unsightly ads as of late, so I've decided that even though I'll take a revenue hit, I'm making some changes:

No more images - I don't like the way many of the image ads seem to detract from the site and often they don't even have anything to do with cooking!

I'm banning e-mail spam and sites that make money via adware or some other means where they do not fully disclose the implications of installing their software to people who sign up. I realize that some of my readers may not be web savvy and not realize what will happen if they sign up to those websites.

So, if you see an advertisement showing up on my website that goes to a site that is a known e-mail spammer or one that looks like it might be (for example, a site that requires an e-mail address so they can provide you with free recipes) or a site that wants you to install a toolbar, then please e-mail me or respond to this post and let me know what the url of the site is. (Please don't tell me which page you saw the ad on, because the ads change all the time.)

I know this is probably going to cut into my adsense revenue quite a bit (since the spammers and "free ipod" sites are probably bidding the highest for ad space), but enough is enough.

Michael

P.S. It takes about half a day to a day for Google AdSense to register a block, so some of the metareward.com and such ads may take a little while to disappear completely.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pass through the site yielded these ads that I have decided to filter out:
aavalue.com
azhomebiz.com
bargaindealsforyou.com
biggestloserclub.com
consumerincentivepromotions.com
dnelist.com
food-offer.com
giftfiesta.com
letscleanse.com
metareward.com
mychoicerewards.com
nextdoor.to
productopinionpanel.com
reciperewards.com
starware.com
winhundred.com
winsweepstakes.net
yourgiftcards.com
yoursmartrewards.com

Let me know if you see more that you want me to look into removing or if any of these are actually legit ads/services...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum