Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Albers Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Needs buttermilk Reply with quote

Three things I noticed were the lack of buttermilk, no cast iron pan, and use of a whisk. Cornbread should be lightly mixed just to moisten the meal, much like muffins. It gives a better texture. Buttermilk is the preferred liquid, it offsets and alkalinity from the eggs or baking powder. Lastly, cornbread shoul always be cooked in cast iron - be it a skillet or one of the specialty pans like corn sticks or wedges.
jwbrenda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: cornbread - gramma made it good - I make it good Reply with quote

First let me say: LUV THIS SITE!

Now, to the business of cornbread. My gramma was from Bemis, TN, and the cornbread we ate was yellow and only mildly sweet with great texture from the cornmeal. I never learned to make hers (huge mistake), but the recipe on the Albers box made me happy. Then tonight I couldn't find it - it was out of my recipe binder, but I had another (Alber's) recipe to try and tweaked it a bit:

MIX TOGETHER IN ONE BOWL
1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
2/3 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 c. frozen corn kernels
MIX TOGETHER IN ANOTHER BOWL
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 c. corn oil
3 T. melted butter
1 1/4 c. milk
COMBINE LIQUIDS WITH DRY INGREDIENTS JUST 'TIL MOISTENED, THEN POUR INTO 8" square pan, greased with corn oil
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

This is VERY sweet and not exactly what I was looking for, but it was yummy just the same. The recipe originally called for 1-1/2 c. flour and only 1/2 c. of cornmeal, so I can imagine this would have been something you could cut into layers and frost. Also, I didn't add the 1/2 t. salt - we are cutting that ingredient everywhere possible. I thought 350 was just not the temperature I remembered for cornbread, but was committed to it once it was in the pan and in the oven, whilst I meanwhile scoured the internet for my familiar recipe. It came out very moist and NOT brown on top, but a light, shiny yellow, with an almost spongelike appearance. Like I said, not what I expected, but yummy just the same. Interestingly enough, the recipe at the top of this pile is the very one I was looking for! And yes, a cast iron skillet is best, and yes, bacon fat is best, but glass is fine and my doctor is happy I miss bacon fat rather than eat bacon fat. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sour taste in the cornbread is probably caused by using slightly too much baking powder and/or leaving the mixture for too long before putting in the oven. In either case, the bicarb reacts with the flour instead of just creating bubbles - same thing happens with any soda bread
darksabrelord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Sour Cream Corn Bread Reply with quote

my mother has a delicious recipe for Sour Cream Corn Bread

• 1 cup cornmeal
• ¾ cup unbleached flour
• 5 tbsp sugar
• 1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup sour cream
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 egg
• 2 tsp oil

mix wet and dry ingredients together separately, than combine. Bake at 375F for 10 min then 350F for 15 more.

Makes delicious, incredibly soft cornbread
winsuek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Re:Cornbread with Creamed Corn Falling Apart Reply with quote

Sad Does anyone know why the cornbread made with creamed corn falls apart? I did leave out the egg but substituted flax seed meal for the egg (sub that is suggested with flax seed meal web info) But I still don't understand if that is what caused it because I read where one person left it out and did not have the falling apart of the cornbread. I'm just trying to add as much fiber to my husband's diet as possible to help him with his diabetes type 2.
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: LA/TX cornbread Reply with quote

Buttermilk and baking soda will make the cornbread rise, without the bitterness left over from a baking powder reaction.. stir just enough to mix wet and dry, too much stirring makes it flat.. little or no sugar, that's only if you need to hide the bad taste from baking powder, and cornbread naturally have it's own sweetness.. and yes, cast iron preheated gives a really nice crust

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to include a half a can of creamed corn in my cornbread. Love the little bit of moisture and sweetness it lends.
Ilanaoaktree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Cornbread Recipe Reply with quote

With respect I would like to suggest this for you. I have been making cornbread for over 50 years now and everyone always wants more. I adapt it often depending on what I have on hand, but one thing always remains the same I use white cornmeal.
If you use white cornmeal you will get rid of the grittiness that you described in you analysis.
I also agree with and add more sugar or sometimes honey (depends on what I have on hand)
I also add finally minced onion (about 2 Tablespoons) This is also pretty consistent unless I am out of onion.
I also like to make my milk sour by adding vinegar to the milk or I use buttermilk, because it makes the cornbread lighter, more cake like.
I often use vanilla soy milk because I have it on hand.
Try it I think you will like it! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: sour cornbread Reply with quote

My cornbread was sour when my baking powder was old and chunky. It had collected moisture and didn't mix well with the other dry ingredients.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: sour cornbread Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
My cornbread was sour when my baking powder was old and chunky. It had collected moisture and didn't mix well with the other dry ingredients.

The basic (as in alkaline) ingredient(s) in the baking powder may have reacted already leaving an excess of acidic.

If you have issues with clumping due to moisture (perhaps living in a humid environment), check out Dry Spice. It may help with the problem.
Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Albers Corn Bread Reply with quote

As it's only a small amount of oil - don't use vegetable oil.

For a non sugary light sweetness try a *high quality* extra virgin olive oil. A really good quality product might make the difference you're looking for.

Regards,
Spencer.
Nora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: AlbersCorn Bread Reply with quote

This the best corn bread. I couldn't find the recipe I grew up with. And this is Identical to it.
Dallasmom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: This Albers recipe is the best recipe! Reply with quote

I grew up in California, and this was always the recipe we used. I love this Albers recipe, and we use it all the time. It is very quick and easy, and I have never had a problem with bad taste. I think it has just the right amount of sweetness.
Cajun Queen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: CORNBREAD Reply with quote

Well as a girl growing up in Baton Rouge, I ate the best cornbread of my life! It was at my elementary school in the cafeteria. It was tall/high, DARK yellow, VERY coarse, NOT sugary sweet, and VERY moist. It actually tasted like a buttered ear of fresh corn!! This kind of cornbread is delicious with a big plate of red beans and rice. Yuummmm!!!

My mom made hers quite differently, with the white cornmeal that she learned from HER mother (who was from Alabama-Georgia). My grandmother's tasted like CRAP, was very thin, white, full of sugar, and very cake-like consistency. DAMNED YANKEE BREAD. Gag!! It's too bad I didn't inherit my grandmother's cast-iron skillet though.

There are SIX SECRETS to good cornbread:
1) Cast-iron skillet is a must for crunchy edges and also cuts down on cooking time.
2) NO WHEAT FLOUR. This is cornbread, not cake!
3) NO SUGAR or other sweeteners. The only sweetness coming through should be the natural sweetness of the corn.
4) Do not whisk, beat, or otherwise mix the batter a lot. Just moisten the dry ingredients with the wet, almost like you were making biscuits.
5) Browned butter adds a wonderful flavor and a whole new dimension to your cornbread.
6) Baking your cornmeal to release its flavor before mixing your batter yeilds incredible results!

Cajun Queen
Cajun Queen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

Addendum: Forgot to mention that STONE-GROUND CORNMEAL is incredible and surpasses steel-cut garbage every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: