Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Albers Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAN3

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're referring to "Sweet Tea," which should not be confused with Iced Tea. I enjoy both, as well as the most sensational "Thai Iced Tea" which is black tea on ice with sweetened condensed milk... mmm.

Sweet Tea should be teeth-shatteringly sweet and lemony-minty to a fault. Drink it too fast and you'll be retching, but it's refreshing after a day outside of the A/C in humid weather. Iced Tea may have lemon, but should be generally enjoyed for its own mild bitterness and subtle flavors, preferrably while the day is declining but it's too early to be drinking beer. Thai Iced Tea should be enjoyed as often as the craving strikes, which it will every 3 days after the first time you drink it. It's crack, I tell you.

As the offspring of a New Orleans native and a Seattle native, I've learned to enjoy both sweet and unsweet cornbread-- the only one I haven't learned to love was the time Dad left out the leaveners-- the result was what we call to this day "corn fudge." I prefer the savory cornbread as the side for stews, soups, and chili, while the sweeter corncake as a snack, small breakfast, or side-bread to a meat dish. I butter the sweeter variant, and dip the savory version into the gravy of the stew/soup/chili.
allene211

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: cornbread Reply with quote

Michael [re: Mar 28 corn bread] So, how did your second try with Albers turn out? Read all the comments and have to agree that Jiffy is great and cheap. Also, I wouldn't use Albers again after I tried it once. Stone Buhr makes a decent cornmeal but, you can't find it in all stores.
Elise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: cornbread - muffins Reply with quote

I just used old jo's recipe to make corn muffins with and it was the best yet! the last few times I made corn muffins they were too dry, so I was looking for a new recipe and ended up here.

I mix some of the fine yellow cornmeal with some coarser corn meal, to get a great texture. I know and have a big problem with the taste of too much baking powder in baked goods (also cookies for example), but I wouldn't describe it as sour. It leaves an unpleasant 'edge' on the teeth (sometimes spinach does too). Next time I'll try the recipe with less baking powder (2 t instead of 3).

I love the way this site tests recipes! more please!
Fast Eddie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: updated Reply with quote

Never been to dinosaur barbeque, but I've heard they have great food; maybe someday they'll make it to the West Coast. The link Boo Guy gave for their cornbread recipe is now defunct, but I found another one: it's at http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2004/april/dinosaurbbq3.html.
ginnylavender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: cracklin corn bread Reply with quote

Real old-time cracklins are available in Mexican grocery stores. Look for Chicharrones.
Re the north/south cornbread divide: I had a mother from New Hampshire and a father from Texas. She made thick sweet cornbread with sweet milk in a baking pan; his mother made thin unsweet bread, with buttermilk, in a cast iron skillet. Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The unsweet won, hands down, in my opinion. It's very hard to find anymore, unless you know some old Southern country women. I can't make it right, no matter how hard I try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: West coast bbq Reply with quote

If you're looking for decent barbecue on the west coast, I liked JR's in L.A> better than Dinosaur in Rochester NY. Don't get me wrong, Dinosaur is gooood. Don't remember their cornbread. I was in a meat-induced hallucination.
vvkatsmeow@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Albers corn bread recipe try adding buttermilk for the milk Reply with quote

This recipe is great, try substituting the milk with buttermilk. Tastes more rich this way. Try it with some hot homemade soup.
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Oklahoma State Fair 2002 prize winning cornbread recipe Reply with quote

This recipe makes a light, slightly gritty, not too sweet corn bread. I found it on the virtualweberbullet.com BBQ website. It won first place at the Oklahoma State Fair in 2002. Spray canola oil to coat the inside of a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place skillet in cold oven and turn on oven and heat to 400 F. Mix 1-1/2 cups of yellow corn meal....1/2 cup all purpose flour....1/4 cup granulated sugar....1 tablespoon baking powder....3/4 teaspoon salt. Wisk together in a mixing bowl. In a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup add....1-1/4 cups milk....2 eggs. Wisk until smooth. Heat in microwave 45-seconds to bring to room temperature. Add 1/3 cup canola oil. Wisk until smooth. Wisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Wisk until smooth. Pour batter into the heated cast iron skillet. Bake 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
jks19714

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Father's side of the family is from Mississippi, so I grew up on cornbread of the Southern variety.

Grandmom made it wth a coursely-ground corn meal and used buttermilk instead of milk.

Mmmm.

- john
Syl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Souther Corn Bread Reply with quote

My family is mainly from Middle Tennessee and Mississippi Delta, and we had biscuits and/or cornbread with every meal. Mom used a cast iron skillet, which she kept greased even when not in use so it wouldn't rust. We NEVER had sweetened cornbread; that would've been corn cake. Mom didn't use much soda (too much could account for a sour taste) and preferred white corn meal, but yellow is fine. Using more flour and less corn meal gives it a more cake-like texture. Between meals we enjoyed cornbread crumbled into a glass of milk or buttermilk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through several loafs of cornbread using this same brand of cornmeal, canola oil, and the same recipe (but with the original 1/4 c sugar) to try to get rid of the 'sour' taste you also encountered. i would actually describe it as bitter or a burning sensation, rather than taste.

strangely, i also got the same result once while making cookies which used oil instead of butter. so i concluded it was the oil

i substituted butter and got the same taste/sensation. i used different oils. i got fresh baking soda (perhaps that was the problem... i used soda instead of powder. who knows?).

the new baking soda did seem to help, but i also halved the recipe for that loaf, which may have affected it (i was tired of wasting ingredients)

finally, i think i have figured it out. the aforementioned cookies were baked at 400 deg. F. the cornbread is baked at 400 degrees. refined canola oil has a smoke point of 400 degrees. for butter it is 350. reaching the smoke point supposedly causes bad taste among other things.

what do you think??
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In making cornbread I use peanut oil. White Lily self-rising white cornmeal. (This is sold in the South and I think it is available online.) The method taught to me here in Virginia is to heat about 3 tablespoons of peanut oil in a cast iron skillet. We heat this on top of the stove just before the smoke point you will see the oil shimmering. Do not over mix the ingredients, just barely mixed ingredients like you are making biscuits. (We do not add oil or shortening to the cornbread mix nor flour or sugar. This is not corn flavored cake but a coarse bread.) Pour the mixture into the pan (it should really sizzle) and help it spread to the edges and bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes. Cornbread is meant to be eaten hot out of the oven slathered in butter. A glass of milk nearby goes very well with this. It is wonderful with all kinds of beef stews or soups. It is meant to be dipped or used to soak up gravy.

The stories I have heard from the old-timers is the cornbread was made with bacon fat and they would pour real milk (straight from the cow with all the cream in it) over the corn bread and soak it in the milk. I was told that this was put in a container in the shape of a bucket with a lid hence the name lunch bucket. That was great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. In the South they also have supper and I still haven't figured out when they squeeze that meal in but it is definitely different than dinner.

Barry
TheFatMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Albers Cornbread recipe Reply with quote

Don't know what y'all did wrong but I multipy this recipe by 6, or was is 12, (plan on using the whole box) and bake it in a large aluminum pan. The people I serve think it's so sweet that we could serve it for desert.
Instead of oil I use butter (salted) and instead of heavy cream.
If yer worried about calories and fat don't be. We all die sometime and should live while we're alive. If you live in fear are you alive?
Rhonda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Reply with quote

I enjoy all types of cornbread. I suppose it depends on what I am having. I enjoyed a comment from a comedian who grew up in the South. He said the purpose and result of his Mama's cornbread was to suck every ounce of moisture out of a person's body. One mouthful and "shooop" you were dry as a bone.
célébrez la différence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this one for years - simple easy and sweet

Corn Bread

Mix together
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Heat
1 cup milk and 1/2 cup margerine or butter together

Add 2 eggs and the milk and margerine to dry ingredients and mix with a fork until just mixed

Pour into a greased 9 x9 pan and

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: