Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Oven-Fried Onion Rings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I care -- I read the comments to see if anyone else has tried the recipe, and their results.

Greater sample, more opinions. If you notice other sites like Allrecipes . com have similar comments for useful suggestions, such as adding/removing portions of ingredients or changing temperature times.

Smile
darus67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Onions Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the onion itself wasn't discussed in more detail.
What kind of onion makes the best rings?
White, yellow, red?
Vidalia??

Aren't Vidalia onions sweeter and less 'sharp' than other kinds?
I would think they would make for better rings.
paladinii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Vidalia onions Reply with quote

Don't use vidalia onions anywhere heat is applied. They get even sweeter (in a nasty sorta way). Of course, if you really need super sweet flavors, you could always use regular onions and dump 1/4 cup of sugar on them. UGH.
norm muehleck "qasi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: (a) baked onion rings (b) recipe format Reply with quote

(a) Thanks! Can't wait to try them.

(b) Wow, what a cool format for recipes, merging Ingredients and Method in, essentially, a Gantt chart--have never seen that before, though intuitively I thought there must be something like--and here 'tis!

(Go easy, please; this from an auld, auld mech. engr.)
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: I Care Reply with quote

I care also. I regularly read the comments. For this recipe, I saved a few comments along with the recipe in my recipe file.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: oven fried onion rings Reply with quote

I used this recipe today...cut it in 1/2 for one person and omitted the potato chips (didn't have any and it was a spur of the moment thing) I used vidalia onions and it turned out fabulous! The onions were so juicy and the breading was nice and buttery crisp yum! Wanna see a picture? No? Too bad, here is one:
Edited: The image was no longer working (Michael)

sitting on a plate with my vegetarian sloppy joe ready to be wolfed down. Thanks for the recipe! Wink
Zero200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

After reading your report, I was inspired. I left work and went directly to Safeway. Picked up all the nessicary items, and headed home. They complimented supper that very night. Simple, cheap, great tasting, and the most expensive part happens to be the kettle chips. And who does not want a reason to buy some kettle chips?

I have reccomended this recepie to others, and will be sure to use it again. Thanks for the post.

Zero.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for onions to use, I think walla wallas are the best for rings, if you can get them. They are huge, and pretty sweet. The size (in both diameter and ring thickness) makes them particularly easy to work with for rings... make 'em an inch thick I say. (Better onion to batter ratio for the end product.)

A local semi-fast-food join in these parts (Burgerville... they specialize in "high quality" fast food using local ingredients... really much closer to restaurant fare than most fast food) makes gigantic onion rings when the walla wallas are in season, and they are some of the best rings I've had. Most of my other favorites have also been walla wallas.

They do just fine with heat too, and don't get icky (like someone said for vidalias). At least not in my opinion.
Mike K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Did you give your recipe to America's Test Kitchen, or did they come up with almost the exact same recipe? I just saw this recipe on PBS this past Saturday here in St Louis. If your interested in their recipe, go here:
http://americastestkitchen.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3379&iSeason=8
You may need to register to actually see this. I can also PM if you're interested. Still sounds like a great recipe and I always like your and America's Test Kitchen's recipes since they almost always work as advertised -- I can't say that of many other recipes.

Mike
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike K wrote:
Did you give your recipe to America's Test Kitchen, or did they come up with almost the exact same recipe?

The recipe is credited to Cook's Country magazine. Cook's Country (as well as Cook's Illustrated) is owned by the same parent company and publisher as America's Test Kitchen.
demibelge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: zucchini & mushrooms worked also! Reply with quote

Just a note to say that I tried doing slices of zucchini and whole crimini mushrooms along with the onion rings and they all worked very well!
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Onion Rings Reply with quote

I made these FANTASTIC onion rings yesterday for supper with Curry Chicken Kebabs from Cook's Illustrated Summer Grilling and Entertaining 2008. My husband looked at me strangely when I suggested that we have them. Now he thinks they are the best thing since beer. We are planning on having them on the weekend again with hamburgers. The only thing I would suggest is to process the crackers and chips separately and mix or alternately in half and half as my food process was full with 30 crackers and 4 cups of chips and had a difficult time processing to the correct consistency.
I am planning on trying more of your suggestions, Mike.
Howard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the mass of the potato chips?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
What's the mass of the potato chips?

It's not really important - your using them to coat, so the exact amount is not as relevant as having enough to coat the rings...
*slim*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: I love your site! Reply with quote

I stumbled across this site looking for another recipe. I have been visiting every since! I made these onion rings last weekend. They were heavenly! So crisp and flavorful! Thanks for making an awesome site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: