Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between top and bottom rack of oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaireBear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Difference between top and bottom rack of oven Reply with quote

I'm always wondering why some recipes call for dishes to be cooked on the top rack and others on the bottom rack of the oven. What's the difference? For now, I'd think the two are approximately the same: Heat rises to the top so the top of the oven is hot. However the bottom rack is much closer to the heat source so it's also hot. So why the different cooking methods? Thanks!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature in the center of the oven is most even. On the bottom rack, the cooking vessel is being unevenly heated by the heating element or gas from the bottom and the top of the pan gets less heat. Also, dark colored pans will brown more, (an important consiseration for cakes or cookies) especially when on the bottom rack than a shinier, lighter colored pan. I generally like to cook in the center of the oven for most even cooking. Some things. like a really big turkey might need to be placed on a lower rack than the center due to space limitations in the oven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum