Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Strawberry Glazed Angel Food Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Absolutely amazing Reply with quote

Teasing We made this and LOVED IT - we have now made it a couple of times and it never fails to impress. I did double the amount of glaze - we are just greedy and love the strawberry center. We rave about it enough, thanks for the recipe and detailed pics. Cheers
Christopher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: My mother always made a simple angel food cake for my b-day. Reply with quote

As a child my mother always made a simple angel food cake for my birthday. Here in mexico I will have to figure out how to order an angel food cake pan from the US. But with your excellent instructions I'll be able to make it from scratch not a mix like she always did.

I like the idea of adding fruit. We always had it with vanilla ice cream and strawberries.
renée

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: fabulous :) Reply with quote

made this for a surprise birthday party, recently, and used the yolks for my version of your crème brûlée, which i've been making for quite some time. this was the first time i'd made things for such a varied group, and neither the cake nor the custards lasted very long. several people even asked for seconds Smile.

i've lurked on your site for a couple of years now, and really appreciate your approach. i'm always confident that a recipe i find here will work exactly the way you say it will, even if i make my own minor adjustments Smile.

thanks for a job (consistently) well done, and for sharing with the rest of us!
renee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: oops ... Reply with quote

apologies for the special characters...

Unsure

it should have read "creme brulee" with the appropriate diacriticals Teasing.
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Strawberry glaze Reply with quote

Hi!
I am going to make your New York style cheesecake for Thanksgiving using the strawberry glaze recipe from this cake. I have one stupid question though...why do you list 1/2 cup of water, but only use 3 tablespoons? Thanks for all you do here, I love to bake!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Strawberry glaze Reply with quote

Pamela wrote:
I have one stupid question though...why do you list 1/2 cup of water, but only use 3 tablespoons? Thanks for all you do here, I love to bake!!

Not a stupid question at all. Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation - but you use both 1/2 cup water while boiling down the strawberries as well as an additional 3 Tbs. water when you mix in the corn starch. Total amount of water used: 1/2 cup + 3 Tbs. (or a total of 11 Tbs. water). Because I prefer to list ingredients separately when they aren't used at the same time or for the same purpose - water is listed twice. 1/2 cup is used earlier in the glaze recipe and 3 Tbs. is used when thickening. (The 3 Tbs. is there simply to provide some liquid from which to make a corn starch slurry.)
katherine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: love it, love it, love it! Reply with quote

I had never had the courage to make an angel food cake before, despite being reasonably well-versed in the kitchen. I decided to try this out for Christmas and filled the cake with a pumpkin mousse (basically pumpkin pie filling baked in an 8x8" baking dish and piped into the furrow) and frosted with whipped cream as you directed, then dusted it with a bit of cinnamon. My family loved it and I'm so happy it tuned out well! Thank you so much for the detailed recipe!
cnmrhp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: glazing and icing an angel food cake Reply with quote

I have suceeded in making my first angel food cake but now i have a problem. I want to glaze it and ice it in the morning for supper the same day. is that ok, or will it make the cake to soggy? I can't seem to get an answer for this question anywhere. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Christal
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: glazing and icing an angel food cake Reply with quote

cnmrhp wrote:
I have suceeded in making my first angel food cake but now i have a problem. I want to glaze it and ice it in the morning for supper the same day. is that ok, or will it make the cake to soggy? I can't seem to get an answer for this question anywhere. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Christal

In my experience, it is fine to frost and glaze in the morning for service that evening.
cboyle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: angel food cake Reply with quote

Please help. I have been making angel food cakes for years without problems. Within the past six months I have had four cakes collapse in the oven after 30 minutes of cooking then fall out of the pan when I invert them. I am using the same tin, well washed, not greased; I've tried different eggs and beaten them to soft and to stiff points; I've replaced my flour and my cream of tartar; I've taken them out just as they started to collapse and also left them for an additional five minutes (they have been cooked in both cases). The cake seems to shrink away from the tin, not cleanly but leaving a thin layer of cake on the tin. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? T=320 to 350 and humidity is about 60%.
Regards
Carol
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: angel food cake Reply with quote

cboyle wrote:
Please help. I have been making angel food cakes for years without problems. Within the past six months I have had four cakes collapse in the oven after 30 minutes of cooking then fall out of the pan when I invert them.

Have you tried a different cake pan? It's unusual for the cake to peel away while inverted and just fall out. It is possible the sides could have been contaminated with oil at some point and it's nearly impossible to completely wash it clean. Also, you haven't moved to a new location, right?
cboyle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: angel food cake Reply with quote

I haven't changed the tin because the cake wasn't peeling off cleanly - there was still a thin layer of cake on the tin. I've tried scrubbing it but a new pan may be necessary. I haven't moved recently although I did get a new oven two years ago. I have baked angel food cake successfully since I got the new oven though. The collapse and shrinkage shouldn't be related to the tin but what would cause that?
Thanks for your help.
Carol
msaeger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the great recipe. I did it without the filling and just the glaze. It was a lot of work though without a mixer Smile
Soph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Tin Reply with quote

Can i use a bundt tin instead?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Reply with quote

Soph wrote:
Can i use a bundt tin instead?

Not really. If it's brand new, then you avoid the "residual oil destroying the egg white foam" problem, but the foam is still very delicate and may not successfully climb the ridges in the bundt pan. Also, unmolding it might be a challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: