Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Strawberry Glazed Angel Food Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an explanation of different wheat flours, please read: Kitchen Notes: Wheat Flours

You can use either all-purpose or cake flour for this recipe. Be sure to lightly fold the flour into the mixture or else gluten may form causing your cake to lose the light (angelic) quality that sets this cake apart. Using cake flour can produce a lighter cake because of its relatively low protein content.
GEORGE_repost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been cooking and baking for over 50yrs. I have never tried anything so complex as you have made this recipe. I have not yet found when to add the flavoring so I folded it in. As for a the silicone cookware; I'm glad I saved my receipts because, back to the store it goes.I inverted the tube pan and my cake plopped out.Give me the old aluminum or cast aluminum and I'll stay happy.
I'll also keep my receipe which has never let me down.I've added pecans,chocolate,raspberries and anything that hits my fancy that particular day and I'm not an expert.BUT, keep trying, you may make it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike sillicone pans for two reasons: 1) they buckle easily when being pulled in and out of the oven; 2) they don't brown well.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i just wanted to try out something...i want to frost the cake with chocolate frosting and then put the strawberry liquid on top. this would be instead of using the cream icing. wut do u think? Unsure i think it would look and taste good.
Carol Mack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Not a fan of Chocolate combined with Strawberries Reply with quote

Well, I for one am not a fan of Chocolate combined with Strawberries, so I would have to say.........no. Disbelief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Sugar? Reply with quote

Did you mean sift together 1 1/2 cups of cake flour and 1/3 cup CONFECTIONER'S sugar?

Signed,
An Engineer
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sugar? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Did you mean sift together 1 1/2 cups of cake flour and 1/3 cup CONFECTIONER'S sugar?

Nope, I use granulated in this recipe.
Maria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: cream of tartar Reply with quote

Can I substitute lemon juice for the cream of tartar?
k_vandro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: all purpose vs. cake flour Reply with quote

diffrent types of flour have varying levels of softness. for example- european flour, being diffrent from U.S. flour is much softer, and is about half cake flour and half all purpose flour. the flour is milled diffrently and thus produces diffrent levels of gluten in baking. the type of flour will greatly affect a light cake like this.
swdbar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Tasted great! Reply with quote

My cake part turned out very nice. I had never attempted an angel food cake and will probably never try it out of a box.

I did have some difficulty with the glaze, though. It may have ended up too runny but it made quite a mess at the base of the plate. Everything tasted great though!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tasted great! Reply with quote

swdbar wrote:
I did have some difficulty with the glaze, though. It may have ended up too runny but it made quite a mess at the base of the plate. Everything tasted great though!

Make sure that the cake is fully cooled before applying the whipped cream. A little bit of heat is enough to soften the whipped cream and cause it to flow.
bk88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
could you please tell me the dimensions for the pan that you used? i cant wait to try this recipe!
thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk88 wrote:
hi,
could you please tell me the dimensions for the pan that you used? i cant wait to try this recipe!
thanks!

I used an angel food cake pan that measured 10-in. with 1-1/4-in center post from the top and 8-1/2-in. with 3-1/4-in center hole at the base.
Sachi

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it necessary to have a tube pan to make this recipe? I do not have a tube pan, and am wondering if I could substitute with a normal round or square cake pan. Thanks for your help.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sachi wrote:
Is it necessary to have a tube pan to make this recipe? I do not have a tube pan, and am wondering if I could substitute with a normal round or square cake pan. Thanks for your help.

Angel food cakes need a speecial pan for two reasons - the pan should never have touched oil - ever. If there is some oil on the pan, the foam won't hold up as well and there's always a little residue left. The other reason is that you need the central tower to help distribute heat evenly and provide a "Gripping" surface for the cake to climb up as teh foam expands. Without it, the cake won't be able to sustain it's own weight and will probably result in an odd looking, half risen cake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: