Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Pan Pizza
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwan from de

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to heat the milk and had no yeast, used soda instead o_O let's see how it'll come out. T minus 20 minutes
Nobody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Poor iwan from de Reply with quote

Quote:
i forgot to heat the milk and had no yeast, used soda instead o_O let's see how it'll come out. T minus 20 minutes

We didn't hear back from him. I guess it didn't go so well.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Pizza Crust Reply with quote

I didn't have any all purpose flour, so I substituted self rising instead. The crust turned out soft and didn't taste very good. It was nothing like Pizza Hut...

Would self rising flour make that much of a difference?

Mike
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pizza Crust Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Would self rising flour make that much of a difference?

Self rising flour contains salt and baking powder. The baking powder will through the balance of ingredients off and could produce an off taste with nothing to neutralize it. The baking powder could also react with any acid in the dough. Both things will make it taste funny.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of flour you use, be it bread flour, cake flour, all purpose flour or self rising flour will make a world of difference in how your baked good come out. The use of other ingredients aside, the textures will be different on all of them.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Pizza Crust Reply with quote

I picked up some All Purpose Flour and will give this another try today or tomorrow. It's confusing how many types of flour they have at the store. Cake Flour, Bread Flour, Self Rising Flour, All Purpose Flour, High Altitude, Bleached, Unbleached, etc. Shock

If I double the recipe for the crust, do I need to use two packs of yeast?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pizza Crust Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
If I double the recipe for the crust, do I need to use two packs of yeast?

In my experience, yes. You need a certain number of yeast organisms in the flour/dough mixture to make it rise in the time range specified in the recipe. Waiting for the yeast to reproduce to double their numbers to produce the needed CO2 to leaven the dough could take more then enough time for other characteristics of the dough to change. You probably won't get enough rise without the extra yeast.

If you like a thin crisp dough, you may be ok with less yeast.
John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made this pizza tonight, on a whim, and with no prior pizza-making experience, and it turned out great! Everyone loved the crust and home made tomato sauce as well. The worst part was making a huge mess and not being prepared with my ingredients. I didn't let the dough rise in the pans for an additional 20 minutes, but it still turned out very tasty and a nice texture. I'll have to experiment with that.

Keep up the great work with the website, love the recipes and the presentation!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bread flour makes the best pizza dough. For everything else, I use unbleached white flour.
nmdive

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Deep Dish Pizza Crust? Reply with quote

Is this dough recipe suitable for use a deep dish pizza crust?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Dish Pizza Crust? Reply with quote

nmdive wrote:
Is this dough recipe suitable for use a deep dish pizza crust?

You could probably make it work, but it won't taste as you expect. The dough is well leavened and has enough springiness that I'll be hard to get it to wrap up the side of a pan...
Mech - PE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: my engineering experience Reply with quote

Nice recipe but it can really be improved upon. The difference between good pizza and great pizza is the crust. Interestingly enough, technique is more important than the ingredients in achieving a world class dough/crust. The dough contains bread flour, water, salt and yeast. The pies I make are anywhere from 11 to 16 oz for a 16 inch pie. The 11 oz produces a paper thin crust which if you keep the toppings on the dry side produces a crispy marvel. The 16 oz produces the conventional pizza parlor ny pizza. The trick is to kneed the dough to produce the a window pane. It should be on the dry side - tacky not sticky. Upon kneading the dough let rise till double, then bench and form dougn balls of the required weitht and place into oiled covered bowls. Let rise on the table for half hour then place in the refrigerator for at leat 5 hours but not necessary to do more than 10. When ready to bake: dont use rolling pin- spread out with finger and fist by letting the weight of the dough stretch itself in the air being careful not to disturb the edges of the crust. Your toppings should be on the dry side so that pies is not soggy. If you use fresh mozzarella chease- salt it and let sit on paper towels to dry out a bit. Bake in the oven at 550 for 7 to 9 minutes. You will get an incredibly cripy blistered crust like you have never had before. I have been making pizza for about 10 years- so be patient and experiment. And above all keep it simple- it is after all a peasant dish.
objective oriented enginr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: my engineering experience Reply with quote

Mech - PE wrote:
Nice recipe but it can really be improved upon

Really? This is a really good approximation of the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza... Can it be better (better = closer to the pizza hut crust since that's the goal of this particular recipe)? Possibly, but not the way you described.

Mech - PE wrote:
You will get an incredibly cripy blistered crust like you have never had before. I have been making pizza for about 10 years- so be patient and experiment. And above all keep it simple- it is after all a peasant dish.

That sounds like great pizza... Unfortunately, that's not how a pizza hut crust is and so it fails at the goal.
Mech - PE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: my engineering experience Reply with quote

I was not responding to your pizza hut recipe. Frankly any estblishment that fills the crust with cheese is not worth takiing about. Have a happy new year and ..... lighten up.

The Professional Engineer
LauraK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out great!

Next time I probably won't use quite as much oil in the pan... I thought the crust was a little greasy for my taste, and the flavor of the EVOO was strong, but otherwise it was delicious and surprisingly fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: