Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Orange Juice Shelf Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like a volunteer, please let me know, Documented and photgraphed of course. Anything for Science. I've yet to find funding for my own OJ research. I cannot recall the last time we saw any major advances in OrangeJuiceShelfLifeology, I think your on to something Crick.
-gage
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely take a sip (at least), but I think I will wait longer before I do so. It's not as dark as I would like it yet.

Michael
Youssouf

It's quite simple. Just drink it. If it still tastes ok, you have another story to post. If it tastes like cr#$%p and you become intoxicated and really sick. Now THEN you have the ultimate story to post. Either way, you (or your blog) win!
robin

YES! drink that flavorless, nutritionless, brown goo! GO! GO! GO!....or not...
Deg

Chocolate milk is brown and tastes good. Brown orange juice might taste just as good! Try it!
-EL *grin*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! *grin*

First off, don't taste the OJ... Euwwe! Gross! I guess if you have to do it because you feel you're missing out on life for some insane reason, go for it. Second, I loved your article *grin*, and was inspired, so I found this site which explains what exactly food "packed dates", "sell-by-dates", "best-if-used-by-dates", and just everything you ever wanted to know about shelf life of foods, and all the factors that affect quality of foods (exciting stuff I know! *grin*). I'll be sleeping well tonight that's for sure. It's:
Code:
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b914-w.html
. (Update: March 30, 2007 - The URL no longer works.)

Anyway, what I would do..... which I think would be neat, is... it took sooo long to get your orange juice that way. Why not look up a bacteria/yeast/ other microbe that can use that as a food source and then order some, and then feed that stuff to it. Look for one that produces some interesting end products, and maybe use it to fuel something, power your train set or something for really cheap. Then you can start buying predator ones that eat those and produce different end products, and so on. Then maybe somewhere along the way make some really "interesting" tasting bread or alcohol. You can have like 20+ generations (like an army) in like 24 hours.

Anyway, enjoyed your article, and got a real laugh out of it. Thanx,

Cheers,
-Ellen *grin*
Nikki

Drinking that orange juice would probably put you on the bathroom for a night.....
D.B. Echo

No one person should be expected to go through this alone. It sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to gather a group of people who could each take a small sample of the liquid that was once orange juice. They could record their individual reactions and observe the reactions of the others around them. And if anybody becomes ill, you could also test the theory of sympathetic vomiting!
T-Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comon.. what could a little oxidation hurt? Your orange juice seems to have darkened in color. Instread of being a bright #E1950B yours is a brown #955700 that less green and red in proportion to blue.

#E1950B - #955700 = #4C3E0B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doubts as to it getting any darker, everything should be broken down by now. I would suggest tasting! Put their pasteurization system to the test. My bet would be that a yeast or two survived and you have a slight case of fermented orange juice or really bland water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gone to the trouble to let it turn brown, don't waste the moment by drinking it while no one is around. Wait until you have Health 101 or something. When the prof starts extoling the benefits of Vitamin C, yawn, stretch, burp, then noisily open the bottle and say, "Yes, just what I need, a little fresh OJ and some vitamin C." Tilt your head back and pour.

or, wait until you have a friend over for a movie. Make lots of salty popcorn. When they ask for something to drink, say, "Do you like orange juice? It is all I have."

Wow seems all engineers are busy in finding it out wether he should taste it or not.Seems you guys have nothing to do Smile .Well thats why we never have good engineered products. I am normal and i would suggest you to throw it away and buy a new one SmileI am sure you can afford another one?

The orange juice is question can be consumed up to 36 months without opening or refrigerating. Believe me... I bought a whole carton of orange juice one day, put it in the store and promptly forgot until one day, 3 years later. It looked... well brown... and the bottom was a darker colour. I gave one bottle to a friend who offered to try it. He said it tasted alright... so I gave the whole carton to him. I never heard from him again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ever cursing because your last POS blender breaks down inexplicably, its because all the good engineers died when their natural curiousity overrides their genetic BIG RED DANGER signs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sitting at my desk staring at a bottle of orange juice and thought " I left that bottle on my desk overnight after opening it, I should find out whether or not its still good to drink." Well I read this post and decided to drink up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: