Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking or Baking???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disneymom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Cooking or Baking??? Reply with quote

Here's a silly question from me...

Do more engineers prefer cooking (more forgiving when it comes to not measuring ingredients) or baking (which requires far more precise measurements)? Not sure why I asked other than my hubby is a Nuke and isn't into cooking because he can't just throw things together like I do, but is fine with baking because it is more precise and has an actual recipe to follow (read "equation"). I just thought it was kind of funny! Smile

On a side note, I prefer cooking because it is more forgiving when I don't measure my ingredients (nearly everytime I cook), but when baking, I am very careful about measuring the correct amount (which is probably why I prefer non-English cookbooks/recipes because everything is done in the metric system versus the customary system). Which brings me to another thing...can anyone recommend a good kitchen scale? TIA

~MLE
LAN3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personality doesn't quite fit the engineer profile, but I am the analytical sort, and I prefer baking because it's not so alchemical as cooking.

However, the parts of baking that challenge me the most are still so hard to quantify-- pie crust and biscuit dough, which are sensitive to temperature of the fats and sensitive to blending technique, as well as yeast breads, which in addition to being alive, rely on the maker developing gluten, managing air content, and the effects of the texture changes during the baking that cause tears and cracks and crumb-density and air-pockets and such in the oven.

The great thing about baking is that, when your technique is bad, you get somethign that tastes good and has the wrong texture. So at least you can eat, heheh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum