Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon mouseover links?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do the Amazon.com mouse over product previews enhance or detract from Cooking For Engineers?
Product previews enhance Cooking For Engineers
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Product previews detract from Cooking For Engineers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I see the product previews, but I have no opinion on them
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
I see regular links and no product previews
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Amazon mouseover links? Reply with quote

So, as you have undoubtedly noticed, Cooking For Engineers is littered with links to Amazon products. I don't add links to products unless they make sense (mentioned in an article, used in a recipe). This serves a two fold purpose:
1. By linking to the product I am discussing or mentioning, it takes some ambiguity out of the product mention. For example, when I talk about using a silicone baking mat, the amazon link takes you to a silicone baking mat. If you need further description of what that is, the amazon page provides it.
2. If someone buys something from amazon after following that link, I get a fraction of the revenue from Amazon - which is one of the big ways I'm able to keep this bandwidth heavy (all those people downloading all those pictures adds up) free.

About a month ago, I added a new feature that amazon made available: mouseover details for those links. Because this is in beta, only about half of my readers see this feature. I was resistant at first to enabling this, but I kind of like it - whenever I mention a wire rack, just hover your mouse over it and a picture of the wire rack plus price info pops up. But I'm wondering what you guys (who do see the rollover enhancements / product previews) think?

Please leave your comments...
Jörg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care one way or the other. I definitely don't think they detract, but I'm not sure they add too much, either. I can definitely see how some people might like them, though.
Sherrick

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new to the site, and I can tell you that the "mouseover links" were one of the things I found particularly interesting and helpful when I first got here. I love the fact that if I am not 100% exactly what type of knife or rack or grater you are talking about, I can immediately see a picture and read further detailed information if I wish. It is nice to know that we are talking about the same things and that our shared language is based around specific ideas.

The only real negative I can think of is that by having these links pop up, it could seem that you are attesting to the quality of a specific item available on Amazon, Michael. Then, if someone makes a purchase and is ultimately unhappy with the product, does that create an uncomfortable situation or an issue of credibility?

Just a couple of things to consider.

By the way, I really am enjoying your site and have found it to be both very helpful and quite entertaining. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Sherrick
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't bother me, michael!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum