Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast iron on smooth glass cook top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brutox

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Cast iron on smooth glass cook top Reply with quote

When I purchased a GE electric smooth glass cook top for my apartment, the sales person informed me that I could not use cast iron pans on the cook top because the iron can get hotter than the glass will resist and break. He also told me that if I was not careful I could scratch the glass surface, which is obvious.

I don't know much about cast iron but I wonder if that is true.
Has anyone used? Using? In those conditions?
Pickles

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi brutox.
If you can give me your specific model I can tell you exactly however I went to www.geappliances.com and had a look at one of there glass top electric stove tops and checked the documentation (this is the link to one of there models http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/images/t07/0000003/r03407v-1.pdf)

This is what GE had to say about cast iron.

Quote:
Porcelain Enamel-Covered Cast Iron:
recommended
As long as the cookware is covered
completely with porcelain enamel, this
cookware is recommended. Caution is
recommended for cast-iron cookware
that is not completely covered with
smooth porcelain enamel, since it may
scratch the glass ceramic cooktop.

You should have gotten booklets with your cooker too. Its always a good idea to read through it because they will have everything you want to know in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum