Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Slow Simmered Spicy Barbeque Sauce
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Awesome Recipe Michael! Reply with quote

A neighborhood Soul Food joint went out of business in my area recently and I've been experiencing terrible withdrawal symptoms from their signature Hot BBQ Sauce.

A google search lead me to your site. ;-)

The flavors from their sauce that made it so distinctive were, habanero, bourbon, and citrus.

I doubled your recipe and added one finely minced habanero chile, about 1/2-cup of Kentucky bourbon (don't worry, the booze mostly evaporated in the reduction phase), the zest of an orange (and a squeeze of the juice). I also added the dash of (opt.) liquid smoke.

I served it with Grilled Chicken and garnished it with some freshly chopped cilantro. It was AMAZING!

I'll be checking out more of your recipes. Thanks!
anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Fresh tomatoes Reply with quote

if i am to use fresh tomatoes instead of the canned one, abt how many/much tomatoes do i need ? and do i need to adjust the amt of sugar/molasses ?

thanks
MR. ANNONYMOUS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: even better Reply with quote

great recipe. love it. i am going to tell everyone who loves extremely spicy sauce a great tip. use this recipe, except add 4 habanero peppers and instead of molasses add honey.
Anonymous37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: MSG Reply with quote

MSG is dangerous. It kills brain cells even in people who are not "allergic" and is used as an appetite stimulant so we will eat more and it is hidden inside other ingredients that are used. If it is a prepackaged food, such as mac and cheese, or taco seasoning, or soup, ranch dressing, etc, there will be MSG in it even if it is hidden in another ingredient. Do some research and you will find this out. The only people benefiting from the use of MSG are the fast food industry and the weight loss industry.
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the one who's got something to prove; why don't YOU do the legwork?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyday Sunlight gives you cancer! And how many of you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol? I think I'm probably gonna die one day! Not sure though Smile It's all a scam! Enjoy your life eat tasty BBQ sauce like this! I DO! We are one of the only cultures that fears our own inevitable demise. It's gonna happen! I like the way MSG tastes!. Just go outside every once in awhile and do something active! OH yeah smoke some WEED too!
Maggidew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sauce recipe in particular and the site in general! I am not an engineer, that was not an option for 'girls' when I was in school, but I do enjoy trying out the recipes.

I also enjoy the spirited discussion. Regarding MSG, both my sister and I have noticed strange after-effects when we consume foods that have additional MSG. I stay away from it as an additive to foods and prefer for myself to go with totally 'from scratch' ingredients.

I understand the growing concerns about processed foods and I choose to use as many unprocessed, natural and organically grown foods as possible within my budgetary limitations. That's a choice everyone makes for themselves every day, whether it is in relation to food, or smoking, or sun exposure or any of the 'dangers' in this modern world.

Peace
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Great sauce recipe I can't wait to try!!

And, sorry guys, but I have to say this: Americans who come here and complain about the international units for weights and measurements, well, you know: GET A LIFE! In case you hadn't noticed, you're the odd ones out in the world, so don't expect everyone to convert the units for you. If you haven't entered the new millennium, but are stuck back in the 1930's or something, then deal with it!

Massive congrats go to those American who post their recipes using international measurements!
AK

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Great starter base. Doubled up the recipe, I tossed in a tbs of all spice, 1/2 tbs of cayenne, 1 tbs of lemon juice, 1 tbs of fresh ground horseradish root, 1 tbs of cumin, a dash of celery root and 2 tbs of honey. Caramelized the heck out of the onions and garlic.

BTW - "Frank" - the recipe was in American untis, guessing that the other posts were trying to convert to metric. Gimme a break.
c good

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: del monte ketchup Reply with quote

I recently had a discussion about HFCS with a friend in the food business. I stated that Del Monte Ketchup contains corn syrup, but not high fructose corn syrup. She insisted that most corn syrup used in manufacturing contains HFCS and that Del Monte and many other manufacturers are just putting "corn syrup" on their labels to avoid negative feelings about "high fructose corn syrup". Any comments?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: A little spicier version... Reply with quote

This makes a great base on which to build.
I didn't have any paprika so I substituted cayenne.
Added:
3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce.
1/4 (-ish) cup of honey.
1/4 cup bourbon.
1/2 tsp ground Bhut Jolokia chili (aka Ghost Chili)

VERY nice heat, sweet and spicy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Making this sauce now! Reply with quote

making it now, and its filling the house with a fantastic scent. Tomorrow (the 4th) i'm going to be putting it on the ribs I'm making using your rub too. Can't wait! thank you very much!
Marinevet87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: sauce right on the grill Reply with quote

Use a similar mix of ingrediants but I do it in a small 8 inch cast iron skillet on the Weber gas grill before I cook the chicken or beef on same. Turn off the middle burner and place the sauce filled pan off to the side. If I add wood chips, the sauce picks up the smoke flavor. I add a bit of beer or wine (whatever I'm drinking while cooking) to keep the right liquid level to keep it from scorching.
Brucey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that it was too tangy with both the ketchup and vinegar.
I'll probably try cutting the quantity of both next time to 75% of that in the recipe and add a splash of worcesershire sauce.

Also, make sure to puree it well, any tomato chunks in there kind of spoil the flavour when eating.
dawnmcmd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Slow Simmered Spicy Barbeque Sauce Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows if this sauce is suitable for canning? Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: