Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Chinese Almond Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ol Jac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Almond cookies @ 250 degrees Reply with quote

We printed out the recipe card and used 250 degees as listed. Argued with my wife who said that nobody cooks cookies at 250, she was right,but they still tasted great...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Must the almonds be blanched to make the almond meal?

I don't feel like they need to be. In my case, I used slivered almonds that already had their skins removed. If you don't blanch your almonds the skins will create a slight textural difference in the ground almonds, but it should be acceptable.
Cherish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Can you substitute almond flour? Reply with quote

Can you use almond flour for the ground almonds and/or some of the flour?

Thanks.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, almond flour can be substituted for the ground almonds. In fact, I believe that almon flour is just finely ground almonds.
Toffee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Almond cookies Reply with quote

I made some one time using almond butter instead of peanut butter in a peanut butter cookie recipe in my red and white checked cookbook. Turned out pretty good and I didn't have to do the grinding thing.
Jacq

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Chinese Almond Cookies Reply with quote

I followed the recipe and made the cookies last weekend, and the cookies taste delicious ! Teasing I made some modification to the original recipe. I used 1/2 tsp of baking soda instead and add in 1/2 tsp baking powder. I reduce the amount of sugar to 180g instead and increase the ground almond to 80g. Besides, I omit the water too which I find quite unusual to add into cookies dough.
travelerpalm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: ammonium carbonate Reply with quote

Hey, any of you geeks ever use baker's ammonia for cookies?
What do you think it would do to the almond cookie recipe?
travelerpalm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: leaf lard sources in the bay area Reply with quote

You can order leaf lard which you will have to render yourself from:

Place an order for the San Francisco Farmer’s Market on Saturday. Pick up there, at the Ferry Plaza . To order, use farmersmarket@nimanranch.com, or call --- by Wednesday of the week you want to pick up.

Schuyler Ingle
Customer Service
Niman Ranch
www.nimanranch.com
Velva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Lard substitute Reply with quote

In the past I have had a fair bit of success substituting a combination of half butter and half vegetable shortening for lard. This works especially well for pie crusts. It also makes life much easier when I am cooking for vegetarian friends.
Coffee & Vanilla

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this recipe this week... Just got some almond powder and found this site searching for recipes to use it.

Have a great day,

Margot

http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com

Coffee & Vanilla

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Almond Cookies Reply with quote

I used wholemeal flour because I did not have white flour at home and they came out delicous.

Here is picture.

http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/almond-butter-cookies.jpg

Thanx,

Margot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Yummy! Reply with quote

Yummy! yummy! yummy!
My family can't get enough of these cookies! Different from all the other cookies i've tasted. Not so sweet.
bc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great cookies! Used the variation posted by Jacq. For my oven, 15 min. was plenty. Also, added 3 Tbs. unsweetened coconut and a dash of vanilla extract. Thank you! These were just what I was looking for... BC
megan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Butter and Sugar Free version Reply with quote

Check out my version which doesn't contain any butter and substitutes agave nectar for sugar.

http://www.veganfabulous.com/?p=27
MissJubilee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Butter in China? Reply with quote

I gotta say, I love the idea of these cookies, but I don't bake many cookies of ANY kind here (in Henan) except at Christmas, because butter is really expensive in China! My local WalMart-sized grocery store even stopped carrying it for a while and nobody except me seemed to mind. (And it was during November-December last year, so I REALLY minded!) Are there any cookies, besides peanut butter cookies, that are made with OIL? There's plenty of oil here - I got a gallon of peanut oil as a New Year's gift from my school and have barely made a dent in it - but all milk products (and nuts, for that matter) are expensive. I wonder why they make these in Chinatown? Is there some part of China where cows have been raised for hundreds of years, and ovens are commonly used? It certainly isn't here! Huh.
~Miss Jubilee, Henan, China
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: