Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charleston - Fells Point, Baltimore MD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Charleston - Fells Point, Baltimore MD Reply with quote

Local foodlore holds Charleston as the best in Baltimore. There are many eateries in the Fells Point area - which is the defacto 'happenings place' for Baltimore city currently - from dives to really good ones. Charleston certainly ranks right up at the top.
DW put the food on par with Joël Robuchon/Las Vegas - a Michelin 3 Star..... not bad company.

Charleston has a prix fixe structure (3 to 6 course) but does not use the typical approach of "x" choices for the first/second/third/etc course. The menu list some 25+ dishes roughly organized from lighter to heavier - pick any number you wish from the menu. The menu changes daily with 'what is fresh.' In addition they have last minute specialties / surprises which are not on the (daily) printed menus.

(as the menu changes daily, here's a link to a sample
https://i.ibb.co/Js1tv4k/MENU-MAIN-6-27-20.jpg)

As explained by the staff, none of the dishes is especially large - that said, after 3-4 courses, they are filling. I added a 5th of wild boar - but only because the menu offers stuff you just do not find in many places - sweet breads, rabbit, duck confit and roasted duck, quail, squab . . . choices become difficult real fast. So many dishes, so small a stomach.....

The staff are most courteous, very good at their profession. Table setting/service ware all top notch. One room overlooks the a small marina in the Inner Harbor, other rooms are interior. Atmosphere was quiet elegance without being stuffy, altho I did notice more 'noise' in other vicinities. Timing of courses was excellent - not hurried and no time wondering . . .

Amuse-bouche - a delectable demitasse cup of asparagus cream soup with an herbed mascarpone cheese dot.

We both had the fried oysters - four deep fried corn flake breaded crispy tender juicy delicious oysters nuggets, with a lemon cayenne mayo dipping sauce. Stunning dish - sauce tang super well balanced. Chef Wolf came by later and revealed her secret - soak the oysters 24 hrs in buttermilk. This I gotta' try at home . . . I've eaten a lot of fried oysters and Chef Wolf's outdo all of them hands down, no contest.

I enjoyed a tomato salad - Bocconcini cheese balls, arugula for bite, baby fava beans for crunch, ripe luscious tomato wedges with a savory vinaigrette. Absolutely splendid combo of taste and texture.

DW went with the artichoke, asparagus, carrot, cipollini onion in a lem beurre blanc sauce - which was excellent! (sorry - no pix)

For my next course I went with an off-menu special tenderloin beef tartar - built with caper and onion seasoning. I rarely find tartar in USA - this one is spectacular. For those who enjoy a beef tartar - well worth it. Super tender, melt in the mouth, superb blend of seasoning - and seasoning can make or bust a tartar. They got it right.
(sorry - no pix)

We shared a course of the foie gras - with lemon crepe + compote of cherry /strawberry /rhubarb. This is the first instance in a long high-end history that DW pronounced a foie gras offering "delicious." Very tender/moist and exceptionally flavorful. Highly recommended.

DW is a Baltimore girl, so the crab cake was a must for her. A nice size cake of lump crab with peas, ham accompanying and an excellent saffron white sauce.

I had to try the wild boar - braised on a bed of rice and red wine reduction. Extremely tasty!

Desert (included but does not count as a 'course') we both did the chocolate layered genoise - it had other flavor layers as well but I forgot to note them from the desert menu. Rich and scrumptious.

Bottom Line: highly recommended. Mid-Atlantic area remote from NYC and DC does not have tons of really good restaurants but Charleston is worth the visit - we'll be back!

The Tab: meal and coffee - $211 for the two, excluding alcohol and tip. Very good value for the level of food and service. Call mixed drinks $13. Wines from low to high, as usual.

Misc:
- Wine parings available with each course - if you can drink that much wine....
- Parking can be a bear in Fells Point but just drive to the corner of Lancaster and S. Exeter - complementary valet service right at the front door.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected this to be something about getting from Charleston SC to Fells Point.

Indoor dining? Really?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup - they were allowed 50% capacity indoors starting 7/19/20, if I read it all "correctly"
not every place was prepared / ready for the distancing / other 'requirements' - so "indoors" was/still is? a bit spotty.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Charleston - Fells Point, Baltimore MD Reply with quote

Wow, looks tasty and really good value for money. Would love to try it. Thanks for the recomm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum