Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

egg salad secrets revealed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: peel schmeel Reply with quote

I usually make egg salad by cracking them into a pan and cooking them as wrecked eggs -- but you keep them whole and staem/poach them too. It's egg salad: if you use hard boiled you break it up into pieces anyway.
Dandelion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Peeling Boiled Eggs Reply with quote

This is the sure fire method. Parts of what all of you say is true. Fresh eggs are indeed difficult to peel. Egg shells are very porous. The membrane does dry out and the air pocket does increase. Use room temperature eggs that have been set on their sided for several hours. (This centers the yolk) Pop a tiny hole in the fat end of the egg with a pin. (Your egg will me more uniform and not have the pocket shape) Place the eggs into a sauce pan containing room temperature water. Cover the eggs with about 1 inch of water. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water. (This helps to coagulate any escaping egg white) Bring the water to a rolling boil slowly. After the water boils turn off the heat cover and let the eggs steep for 15 minutes. They will cook evenly through because the have been brought to temperature at the same rate as the water. They will also be more tender due to not being boiled to death. The texture will be less rubbery. After the 15 minutes, pour off the warm water and replace it with cool water. Allow the eggs to cool completely. Do not refrigerate them during this time. Pour off the water in the saucepan and gently swirl the eggs inside to break up the egg shells. At this point the shells should be completely broken. If not roll them on the counter until they are. Submerge the eggs in cool water with additional cool water running over them as you peel them. They will peel beautifully. Smile
kaloalex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked Eggs and Vinegar Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:

That is so right. Don't make me pray for you as you suffer from salmonella. For that reason , I don't (and don't want others) to eat sunnyside up eggs or over easy eggs.
Big smile

Wow.
Really?
What say we agree to opt for eggs pasteurized in the shell? Can we then eat sunny-side eggs without catechisms?
IDontUse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donno if it's been mentioned, but after boiling ( btw you shouldn't boil, you should barely simmer ) your eggs, tap a small hole into the ends with a pairing knife to release the air before plunging in an ice bath. A lot of chefs think this helps release the egg from the shell, yet as far as i know it is unproven.
GUEST OF COURSE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: PEELING EGGS Reply with quote

Taamar wrote:
Try that on an egg right out of the chicken and I guarantee you'll have a messy egg. Since this is an engineer site I'll even tell you why:

There is an air pocket in eggs... the older the egg the larger the pocket. Over time the enlarging pocket loosens the membrane from the shell, making it easier to peel. Science is a beautiful thing!

The engineer is correct....and so is this home economist. Air sac increases as the egg gets older. Freshness test: put an egg in water, if it floats it's older than the one on the bottom!

A tip I learned and use with super fresh eggs is to gently tap the side of the egg on the countertop (not edge as if to crack open) Prepare for boiling as usual; remove boiling water immediately and then chill immediately with cold water. You're all set for perfect deviled eggs!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas, but if your eggs are as fresh as those we buy directly from our chicken lady, none of these methods will work. Here's what does: Steam them. Just like a batch of veg. Bring them to room temp (so they are less likely to crack with a sudden change to very hot), put them in a steamer basket over water and steam them for 20 minutes. Then chill them with cold water, and you'll be able to peel them. That's the ONLY way eggs from the farm where we buy them can be peeled without making a mess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Experiments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum