Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a better way to save, organize, and use recipes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjones4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Looking for a better way to save, organize, and use recipes? Reply with quote

Hello all! I'd like to share with you a little project I'm working on. Reciplay is an E-Ink powered recipe viewer for the kitchen. It allows you to quickly organize, view, and use your favorite recipes all from a simple device. We'll be launching a Kickstarter for it soon, so please sign up to be the first to know when we launch! And of course, I'm happy to answer questions about it! https://reciplay.kickoffpages.com/
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on the experience of people on cooking forums, quite a few questions come to mind.

#1 - the idea of importing recipes "from any source" has been tried and has failed every time so far. how recipes are formatted/printed, units, abbreviations - all are highly non-standardized. what new approach is going to make this work?

#2 - screen for ingredients, screen for instructions. how will this device list ingredients in the order / steps needed? switching back and forth, losing one's place, re-reading a one paragraph "instruction" is not user friendly. "what you need next" - this is what is required, but no approach has yet sussed out how to do this. you really need a screen for ingredients/print-to-shop plus a screen for step by step instructions which include ingredients and quantities.

#3 - how does the user manually edit / change / annotate recipes?

#4 - how do you plan to handle the issue of ingredients by weight vs. ingredients by volumes? metric use . . .?

#5 - is this device water-proof? my fingers are never as clean and ungooped as the promo fingers. looks like the 'buttons' have gaps/crevices - these will eventually need to be cleaned / washed.

#6 - some people, like me, are not conductive. some touch screens just don't like my fingertips. I have to use a stylus on an iPhone, for example. what is the solution for this issue?

#7 - what is the data back-up plan? you may encounter a lot of resistance to a subscription kind of service. free ones have the Photobucket problem; any number of well liked / popular / paid recipe programs have evaporated leaving users totally stranded. cooks that have been burned remember the lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum