Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep Fried Smashed Potatoes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Deep Fried Smashed Potatoes Reply with quote

Smashed (deep) Fried Potatoes

I developed this technique over multiple years advancing on the original smashed potato idea.
small red potatoes - sometimes labeled "baby reds" - are my favorite for this - however any small new/white/yellow/fingerling type could be adapted.

wash/rinse/boil the potatoes - approximately 25 minutes - to an internal temperature of 205'F/96'C or higher - they should be easily pierced. this ensures they are soft enough to smash, but not so soft they fall apart. (note: the time will depend on the size and freshness. fresh, moist potatoes will cook quicker.
different potatoes may work best at a different temp....not used/documented every variety.)

when cooked, smash the potatoes with a broad/wide gadget - a dough scraper works for me - slide onto a plate and refrigerate for at least three hours. do not over squish; the potato should still 'hold together' in it's oblate form.

the refrigeration part is very important. if still warm the potatoes will fall apart during the fry operation. the chilled potatoes retain their shape/size.

(deep) frying: these can be surface browned, sauted, or 'deep' fried. the differences depend on how deep the oil is in the pan. personally I like the crispier 'deep fried' version - using oil not quite 1/2 the thickness of the squashed/smashed potatoes. fry, flip. takes about three minutes on the first side and two minutes on the second side.

salt immediately on removal from the fry operation, while still hot.

Last edited by Dilbert on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sophie_95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also cooked it once. Very easy recipe but veeeeery tasty. I cooked potatoes in a countertop convection oven
Aguerro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those potatoes look heavenly. They look so old school. haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum