Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flat Iron Steak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Flat Iron Steak Reply with quote

Flat Iron Steak has become quite popular in the last few years.
Curiously, the cut has a lot of variation, so I finally remembered to take some pix and post for clarification.

Altho the 'flat iron cut' came to fame recently, it actually dates back into the 1950's. It is cut from the shoulder - however when properly trimmed out, it is an extremely tender cut.

Other names applied: top blade steak, book steak, petite steak, butlers' steak (UK), oyster blade steak (Australia and New Zealand)
technical ID: North American Meat Processor (NAMP) meat buyers guide, it is item #1114D Beef Shoulder, Top Blade Steak.

This is how flat iron appears in our area:

I often see it locally prepared in individual portions; basically rectangular chunks of the above.
I have seen people post photos of some very strangely shaped cuts being sold as flat iron.

The flat iron cut is split apart from a muscle which has a very tough center sinew. This is the "inside" of the cut, there was a little sinew left which I trimmed away.

This shows the "outside" surface, the marbling is more clearly seen and of special note the "grain" of the meat is more obvious. For best results, take note the grain pattern so you can 'cut across the grain' for service.

I like to sear both sides in a very hot cast iron pan, then finish on a rack in the oven at 300'F/150'C - takes 10-15 minutes.

Lancer21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice steak, that cut isn't common yet where I live, but it does look quite appetising; and yes, cast iron is life!
I'd have cooked it a tiny little bit less, but that's a matter of personal taste; the way you cooked it must taste great as well.
Sweet Sugar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like to sear both sides in a very hot cast iron pan, then finish on a rack in the oven at 300'F/150'C - takes 10-15 minutes.

Enamel or bare cast iron?

P.S. by the way, why are the photos so blurry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum