Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Porterhouse or T-Bone Steak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........it is hysterical

not really <g>

most sane folks can quickly decipher things that are - the context of the here and now - are simply not worth acknowledging.
Zikhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to Anonymous who said"Stop eating cattle. F#*ker& Reply with quote

Hi! i am a psychiatrist and currently working on Hindus and other vegetarians and fruitarians who feel strongly for Non-veg. people. So if you"d like to join our research programme please join www.F#*K-them-all.com and please confirm your availability because we have special prized Bull whom you"d praise>

Go get a life. i hope you also dont enjoy making love o your women because that should remind you of the day you were born via that route.

To All Other Great Guys please just keep making magic with the wonderful food as mentioned here.
DBAdude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: grilled steaks without thermometers, timers, etc. Reply with quote

For a perfect medium rare NY Strip steak (between what many restaurants would call medium rare and medium - because many restaurants err on the side of serving steaks too rare).

1) put the steak on the grill over HOT coals
2) Don't touch it until the juices begin to run on the top.
3) Flip it over
4) when the juices run clear on the top, it's done.

If it sticks to the grill, it's either
a) not quite ready to turn or pull off, or
b) burned/over-cooked

For rare steaks, pull it off the grill when the juices begin to run on top.
For well done, cook it the same time on side 2 as on side 1.

This is simple and works no matter how thick or thin the steaks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gave me gas! i fart and fart and fart and fart!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
it gave me gas! i fart and fart and fart and fart!

That probably has little to do with the way the food is prepared (i.e. the recipe) and more to do with the reactions of your particular body to the food - in this case, steak.
jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read. Cooking is an adventure. I gave up bbq-ing for others. I know exactly how to make a great steak on the grill for me, and no, I will not share it with you to save me from arguments... The advise that rings true is to let it get to room temp and burn the shit out of it, turning onlly once.. Thanks for all the fish......................
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Cedar Planks Reply with quote

Using a soaked plank gives your steak a smoky flavor.

Buy some red cedar grilling planks locally or on eBay. Submerge the plank in water for at least 4 hours. With the grill between 300-350, put the steak on the wet plank and set the plank in the middle of the grill. Leave the lid closed; check it at 20-25 minutes for medium rare, 25-30 minutes for medium. It's unbelievably juicy.

You never flip or move the steak, since it's cooking with indirect heat. The vapor created by the moisture in the plank rises into the steak, which is a hot smoking technique.

Before cooking, I rub a little EVOO on both sides, along with sea salt and FRESHLY cracked pepper.

You can also use cedar plank for grilling salmon, just put the skin side down.
Callie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: A Porterhousesteak? Reply with quote

Just for those stupid meatcutting technicians around the world. A Porterhouse steak is the first 2 vertebra just behind the Rumpsteak (in other words from the back to the front) It should be cut between the bone in the soft tisue about 2" thick. There is only 4 Porterhouse steaks in an ox (2 each side). This is where the Rumpsteak end into the Loin. From there onwards go the T-Bone up to the Clubsteak. No fillet on the inside and have a C shape bone. Thanks for the opp. to help your people out there knowing your meat. Callie Rautenbach South Africa e-mail cgr@telkomsa.net
Callie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: A tender grilled Porterhousesteak Reply with quote

Ever try to get a tender steak. Try this out. Take a gas braai with a ripple plate and hot it up like hel. Then put the steak on the fat side for 10 to 20 sec. according to the thickness pf the fat. Let it drop one one side for 10 sec. and turn on other side for 10 sec. while you put u basting sause if prefere on and turn for 5 sec. while do the basting on the side facing you. Turn for 5 sec. and remove from heat. Light up a candle and cut the electric light. Enjoy a tender steak. If prefered cut the steak 1" thick instead of 2". DONT LOOK AT THE MEAT, JUST EAT AND ENJOY. The rarer the steak the more tender it is. Try it first before you say something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually let my steak sit in apple cider vinegar for about 1 to 2 hours before seasoning and grilling, this to me is the best and cheapest form of marinade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: High heat Reply with quote

The best steak I've had (so far) was from the Saltlik Steakhouse in Banff. Black Angus steaks cooked at a white hot 1200 (yes, twelve hundred) degrees in an infrared oven.
RayandTracy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Great article and comments Reply with quote

I love this meathod and I also liked everyone else's comments too. Made for interesting reading for sure.
Regards, Ray Teasing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: high heat Reply with quote

Daniel's Broiler (Seattle) uses an oven with 1800 degree temps to broil their steaks. It was delicious!
Now if I could convince them to use grassfed beef, for their customers' health, that would be awesome!
Slacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: How to tell how much a steak is done without a thermometer Reply with quote

Take your right hand and open it until flat. Then using any finger on your left hand, poke the thumb muscle on the palm of your right hand (this is what rare will feel like). Moving round your palm, pointer finger muscle will feel like medium rare, middle is medium, ring finger is medium will and that hard callus on your pinky is well.

I don't recommend cooking past the pointer as your steak will taste bad as you had to poke it with your finger so many times. LOL
Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Beef Reply with quote

To the guy that say's stop eating Cattle.
What are you doing on this site?
BEEF It's what's for dinner! Fool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: