Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Porterhouse or T-Bone Steak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your article, you were targeting temp of 130. you should remove the steak from the grill at about 120 and rest to get the temperature target of 130. In your article, you said to remove it when it hits 130. That would get closer to 140 and a medium not a medium rare.

One thing I would like to see is an article on aging steaks. The best steak I even had was from Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, NY. My friends and I ordered 2 porterhouses ( 1 rare and 1 medium rare). The best on was the rare steak. The steak sauces was not used at all.
Phrygian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: What's wrong with medium?? Reply with quote

Man, you medium-rare guys bash medium like I bash medium-well and well-done, what's wrong with you? Smile
Steaky the Clown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Steak is good Reply with quote

I eat steak with my mouth
It makes me want to drool.
I once tried to eat steak with my feet
I sure looked like a fool

I ate steak in a car
I once ate steak in the gym
I wish that steak was in the air
So I could breath it like oxygen

I think steak is fun to eat
But the best steak, I suppose
Are those little pieces of steak you get
From picking out your nose

I used to grill my steaks
Using a grill with fiery logs
But I found steak tastes much better
When you wear it for a hat.

Love Bernie, age 32 Shock Shock
aannee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Grilling steak Reply with quote

hey i have same problem 8 months back,now The type of grillers choose will make a difference in the flavor of the foods. Charcoal grilling and propane grilling both create delicious foods but it is thought by many that charcoal grilling gives the food a better tast.www.homegrilling.com Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: flipping the steak Reply with quote

Hello, I have no idea if it is a myth or not but Ive heard that if you keep flipping your steak, the the juices can't run out, like I said I don't know if it is just a myth, but I flip mine constantly and they turn out delicious... Teasing
EAT MEAT

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: GOOD STEAK AND CARCINOGENS Reply with quote

I follow all meals with a healthy cocktail of mostly grain alcohol and fruit juice including tomato- if it does not kill me it will make me stronger-
Look, you could be killed by errant space junk- LIVE WELL! Thanks for a great read -pg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock ALWAYS bring food to be grilled up to room temperatur first. The cooking will be more even, eleminating cold spots in the meat. Also, salt and/or pepper well in advance of grilling. This gives the seasoning time to enter the steak and again, it produces an even coating. Grilling to a sear will not "seal in the juices", that is a myth. The best thing to do, is get your grill hot. Put on the porterhouse, cook for 2 minutes. Turn 90 degrees, cook another 2 minutes. Flip and repeat (Thanks to Alton Brown of Good Eats on Food Network!) Rest the steaks for at least 5 minutes. You will have the best meal in the world, at I did this Fathers Day! Cheers, and happy grilling!
Davey Crocket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Grilling steaks. Reply with quote

For those concerned about grilling on Charcoal, I get a small grill going real Hot on Lump charcoal(mesquite is best for quick grilling). After flopping the steaks on the Grill, I close the cover and close one of the vents to tamp the fire down. In about 2 minutes the fire has died down to a low temperature grill. Continue to cook with a low heat burn a total of 8-12 minutes per side. Perfect steaks and smiles result.

P.S. With charcoal you can make one side hotter than the other for adjusting to the preferred amount of pinkness.
P.P.S. Flipping will just lets more heat escape from the lid and you have to cook it longer(and make the meat tougher) than if you just leave it with the lid on.

:-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr, Unable to register...
Grilling ribeyes: I use a lot of birch bark strips tossed on the coals once the fire has died down a bit, as I don't want them to catch fire. Close the cover and watch the misquitoes run from the smoke.
May want to soak the bark in water 1st if you have a real hot fire going.
I don't but only have a small charcoal fire going for the 2 of us.

For the meat, I never use black pepper as had a real bad encounter with a peppered steak at outback steakhouse -yuk. We don't go there no more (only been there twice).
But lowry salt and garlic hurb and steak seasoning works nice for me Smile

I also coat the meat with HONEY (also I order this way at resturants by telling them to put honey on before cooking) then I jab the steak all over with a large fork to ram the seasons in deep along along with the honey.

Buy the time I get the charcoal grill going, its maraniated long enough for me. Am hungry, lets cook now! Smile
I usually do not flip much unless the fire is too hot. I try to keep the flames well below so won't be on the meat but hot enough to crisp the outside.
You do have to careful as too long on one side, the honey will burn, so need a cooler approach when using honey, or be flippin.
Note, you will not taste the honey, but the steak is sweet and tender Smile
Once I see there's no more blood coming out and juices are clear - its done medium rare, at least for me its that way!
I always try to get the thicker cuts, all depends on which store has a sale going on Smile
Otherwise Sam's Club has always have great cuts of meats.

I was originally looking to find out whats better - slow cooking or fast cooking.
Primary, Ribeye Roasts - 5lb area in the oven.
I been slow cooking (230^) covered with water added, then at the end open and turn on the broiler to HI to crisp the outsides.
Reason is that I do not always know the excect time wife gets home from work. Once she does, then broil so meal is ready buy the time she is...

Just wondering which way is more tender for a ribeye roast - slow or fast?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I had a group of people over, and decided to do all the cooking on the grill. Everything was grilled--corn, asparagus, pineapple, potatoes, carrots, 1 1/2" thick ribeyes and chicken (a few guests don't eat beef-what do they know!!). While one side of the grill was cooking the chicken, the steaks were just sitting on the "cold side" warming up (it's a large grill). After they got to about 115-120F inside using a thermapen, I placed them on the hottest part of the grill for about two minutes on a side to sear and lightly char the outside. This gave a great thin crust and a completely even pink color inside, ending up rare/medium rare and very juicy. Everyone agreed these steaks were on par with the best they ever had at a fine steakhouse.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's similar to what I did tonight for dinner - about 60 minutes in the oven at 200°F to bring the temperature up slowly then a three minute sear on each side on the grill to finish.
Doc53

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Steaks Reply with quote

I've been grilling since 1962, and slow-smoke barbecuing since 1983.

I've cooked with flat-pan grills, hibachis, Japanese ceramics, and gas, as well as slow cooked two-chamber barbecuing with hickory, oak, maple, apple and cherry wood.

My grill of choice for steaks is a Weber 22 1/2 inch charcoal grill.

My choice of steak is 2.5 to 3 inches thick, either ribeye, porterhouse or New York/Kansas City strip (the big side of a porterhouse). Mostly I do choice, but for special occasions, I order dry-aged prime from Lobels.com. Everybody who has his/her grilling technique down should try a Lobel's steak at least once in their life. Lobel's buys not just USDA prime, but top-prime meat. Then they dry-age subprimals for 6 weeks. This evaporates water, intensifying flavor. Stockyards has a really nice 1.25 inch thick 4-porterhouse package. A little less expensive than Lobel's, arrives frozen, it may be "wet aged" prime, but none of your guests will complain. For a big barbecue, order from either vendor, a couple boneless rib roasts, and cut your own ribeyes.

I load one half of my Weber with 4 layers of coals. I fully open the vents and put the lid on a little bit cocked. This gets REALLY HOT. How hot? Well, when you remove the lid, it flares up momentarily, and burns your eyebrows off. Oops, keep some distance, and use the lid as a shield.

Drop the steaks on, put the lid on in fully closed position sear for about a minute, flip, sear for about another minute. Flip over and do about another 30-40 or seconds. Flip again for about about another 30-40 seconds. Then transfer the meat to the uncharcoaled side, put the lid on fully, and shut the bottom vents to about 1/4. This roasts the meat. For a 2.5 inch steak, about 8 minutes will give you medium rare, 15 minutes medium.

Always let meat warm to room temperature before putting on the grill. Actually, I put my steaks in zip locks and immerse in 100 degree water. This enables the muscle fibers to "relax"

Why 2.5-3 inches thick? Because you get a sumptuous browned surface with a juicy pink inside the surface, and some deep red in the center. They all have different flavors, that will make your tastebuds go, "Ooh, Ahh, MMM". Cut each steak in half to divvy up normal-sized portions. This tastes way better than thinner steaks, one to a person. Don't believe me. Try it out for yourself.

For thin pre-cut steaks, 1.25 inch thick or less, try two layers of charcoal and cook the meat fully directly over the coals. Several turns will be necessary for medium cooking to allow the heat to get to the inside of the meat without burning the exterior.

For choice meat, Italian dressing marinade is very good. For prime meat, salt and pepper is perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
brilliant site.
my advice would be to cook your steak exactly how YOU like it.
not how someone think,s it should be cooked.
let,s face it, YOUR the one eating the damn thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
I think it would be nice if you can present the recipes in process flowchart format.. Then it will suffice the website's name cooking for engineers.. Too technical though..

- Medel M. Usona REE
Daryl from Beef Country

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: How to cook a steak Reply with quote

Having tried many different ideas for a properly grilled steak, I have come to the conclusion that an extended marinate is not the way to go unless your BBQing a lesser cut. Lesser being anything less than a good sirloin.

A good rub of salt and pepper should do the trick although I like rub some crushed garlic on it. Montreal Steak Spice is mostly salt and pepper anyways.

Trimming off some fat is fine but be sure to leave some. The buttery flavour we all love is the fat. Most commercially available beef rarely has enough fat in the meat. For me, buying a 4h calf produces the best meat, since its basically treated as a pet and has been hand fed. The beef is far superior. (although if overfed on grain they can get too fatty).

Other than 4H beef, try to get to know a good butcher/beef cutter. WARNING: on occasion I have had 4H beef cut and oddly there were maybe 6 t-bones when I picked it up.

As to the cooking I am a believer in medium rare. Since the invention of refrigeration, having to cook a steak beyond that stage is nearly sacrelige. But experimentation will let you experiment with your own "blood tolerance". Having a plate full of liquid is no gaurantee of better flavour. BUT that being said only flip a steak ONCE. When liquid starts to pool on the top surface, it time to flip it. Once liquid formson the top surface again, EAT IT.

But like anything else, starting with a top quality raw piece of meat will help ensure better results. If you go buy bargain basement meat, you can do whatever you like with it and its better off being hamburger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: