Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Porterhouse or T-Bone Steak
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Recipe File: Grilled Porterhouse or T-Bone Steak Reply with quote

Article Digest:
My favorite steak for grilling is a porterhouse steak. This is a beef steak cut from the loin that includes parts of two delicious muscles: the top loin and the tip of the tenderloin (or filet as in filet mignon). The filet is extremely tender with a buttery, melt-in-you-mouth texture when cooked to medium-rare. The top loin, also known as strip steak, New York strip steak, or Kansas City steak, has a more chewy texture preferred by some and is full of rich beef flavor. When I say the strip steak is more chewy, I mean it is a little more textured than the filet - you still don't need a steak knife to cut into it. To top it all off, I like to prepare mushrooms reduced in beef broth.

(A T-Bone steak is almost the same cut as a Porterhouse but with a much smaller section of the filet attached. Because of this, the T-Bone steak is a little less tender than a Porterhouse. Cook a T-Bone steak the same way as a Porterhouse steak.)

I prepared the mushrooms on the side burner of my propane grill while prepping and grilling the steak. First melt two tablespoons butter in a pan and allow the butter to foam.
[IMG]

Place 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (button or medium cremini work well) in the butter and saute on medium heat until mushrooms give off moisture.
[IMG]

Once most of the moisture has boiled off, add a 14 oz. can of low sodium beef broth to the pan and allow the broth to reduce.
[IMG]

When the broth has reduced to the point where it coats the back of a spoon, add two tablespoons of heavy cream. While stirring, let the heavy cream reduce the sauce until it coats a spoon again. Remove from heat and set aside for topping the steak.
[IMG]

Meanwhile, build a two level charcoal fire or preheat your propane grill. Prepare your Porterhouse steak by seasoning with salt and pepper on both sides. I prefer to cook thicker steaks of about 1-1/4 inch to 1-1/2 inch in thickness (a little less than 2 pounds). During grilling, the thicker steak results in a more even medium rare throughout the meat.
[IMG]

Place the steak on the hottest part of the grill and leave it there for 2 minutes. If using a propane grill, close the lid. On a charcoal grill, keep the lid off, but keep an eye open for flame ups and put them out with a squirt bottle or simply move the steak to prevent charring. After two minutes, flip the steak over and brown the other side - two minutes.
[IMG]

Once both sides have been browned, move the steak over to the lower heat and finish cooking. In general it should take about 7-8 minutes to cook to medium rare (internal temperature of 130°F), but because the building of fires is different every time, I recommend using an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature. Just insert the probe from the side of the steak and plunge the probe into the center. Don't worry if it takes longer than eight minutes, that just means your heat is too low. Continue to let it cook until the internal temperature reads 130°F. Remove from grill and let the steak rest for five minutes loosely covered with aluminum foil.

The filet of the Porterhouse steak should not be cooked beyond madium rare or it may toughen. I solve this by rotating the steak such that the strip steak is closer to the high heat while the tenderloin cut is on the cooler side. This will cook the filet a bit slower and not dry it out while trying to finish the top loin. Serve with mushroom topping over the steak or on the side.

[IMG]

Grilled Porterhouse Steak (serves 2 hearty eaters)
1-1/4" Porterhouse or T-bone steaksalt & peppergrill on high for 2 min. each sidegrill on low until 130°F

Mushrooms
2 Tbs. buttermeltsauteereducereduce
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
14 oz. low sodium beef broth
2 Tbs. heavy cream
Copyright Michael Chu 2004
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a genius. You shouldn't have called it "cooking ro engineers" - you should've called it "cooking for men". This is the first recipe source that MAKES SENSE !!!

Caveat: I'm an accountant, but then I'm also an academic and a Perl hacker, so maybe I'm not normal, but a sub-engineer? Who knows. At least I can now learn to cook !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop eating the cattle, f#*ker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cooking for _engineers_. It would be very nice if you used SI units. It would be very helpful for European readers, too. Cheers.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineers use the units that are available locally to them. Scientists use SI. Smile

See my post on this topic in the Standing Rib Roast article.
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! One comment though. I found the last paragraph about evening out the cooking by favoring one side confusing because there is no component identification diagram. Could you enhance your otherwise complete process guide with a placement diagram so I can understand which is the strip side? Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty,

In the first photograph with the steak (when it is raw on the plate), the strip (or top loin) section is the lower portion. The smaller portion (on the upper half of the steak) is the tenderloin or filet cut. The strip can be cooked closer to the heat as it handles overcooking better than the filet, so orient the tenderloin away from your heat source.

I'll try to take a picture the next time I grill a Porterhouse.

I highly recommend starting off by grilling the steak for 15 seconds, on each side, TWICE. This will prevent the steak from sticking to the grill. Next, flip the steak every 45 seconds, for two to three full cycles. Then switch to every thirty seconds until the steak is close to the desired level of "doneness." Then switch to every 20 seconds until it is ready. Flipping often like this allows you to get the steak to have a very even level of red or pink (in medium-rare and medium levels of doneness, where rare == "dark red center (raw)," medium rare == "bright red center," etc. Switching to 30 seconds per side, followed by 20 seconds per side keeps with this goal, and makes it far easier to prevent over cooking. I learned this through trial and error over time. This is the technique I came up with after about 100 steaks grilled, and I get them cooked to perfection every time (unless the steak was cut badly, i.e., the middle is thinner than the edges, or some such variation).

The way to cook the mushrooms is a great idea. Thanks.

Was wondering; any recommendations for those who like their steaks done a little more?

I assume that you'd just leave it on for a few more minutes on low heat, but do you have any suggestions on how to keep it from drying up too much going to medium or medium well? There's a big difference between "medium well" and "burnt leather" that I've tasted before, but I haven't figured out how to replicate reliably.
artc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Porterhouse is the best. Personally I don't mind a bit of char on the fat so I lightly trim mine leaving about 1/4" of fat and then grill on very hot coals (as in charcoal, mesquite or hickory) turning only once after about 3 min. (for a 3/4" - 1" steak) and cooking until the steak just starts to feel firm when poked with tongs. (NEVER use a fork!) The more it's turned and the longer it cooks the more it dries out. (I think it's impossible to cook a steak less than 3/4" well) If cooked until rare and quickly wrapped in foil for a few min. it will be medium rare when served. NEVER cook a steak past medium rare....just buy hamburger....or eat an old shoe!

My $.02

PS Nice site!

If you really must overcook your steak--ie take it to medium or medium well--the only way to perserve the quality of the meat is to finish the cooking time off the grill.

The fat conducts the heat to the meat very efficiently and helps keep the meat from drying out. The butter solids and salt will add some richness to the meat to help compensate for overcooking. The sugar in the jelly will also enhance the flavors and contrast nicely with the saltiness of the butter.

Add a pat of butter to your saute pan and heat until butter starts melting, and a spoonful of currant or other jelly (not jam, but jelly, there is a difference) that will work with your seasoning mix. The jelly and butter will melt together and start to bubble. When a small amount foam starts to form, add the steak and saute it until you reach the desired level of doneness. The meat will cook very rapidly. Turn it frequently and check for doneness.

This works very well if you are cooking for a big group and you want to precook your steaks. Just cook them all rare and hold hot. When you are almost ready to serve your food, ask each person how they want their steak. Saute each steak to the desired level.

Hi,

great web site.

Just two tips: I would not season the meat before, but during cooking, as soon as you move it from high heat to low heat. Salt causes the uncooked meat to dry out, and pepper can burn on high heat, making the meat bitter.

For the barbarian who wants his meat overdone: The trick is to work with really low heat. I have not tried the pan solution, but what works is to cover the steak in aluminium foil and keep it on very low heat - an oven set to 80 degrees centigrade works well. Or cover it in foil and keep it at the very side of the fire - less reliable, but more of the stone-age barbecue feeling ;-)
Dan the Goose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I'd tack on an overnight marination in anything at the beginning, though.

I am surprised that you advocated adding pepper (and from the picture it appears to be ground pepper) prior to cooking.

As any chef will tell you, black pepper will become carcinogenic if heated. If one insists on having the pepper present while cooking, whole peppercorns should be use, as it will diminish the carcinogenic effect. That is why all of the fine restaurants have peppercorn steaks on the menus.

For a different, more savory taste, try putting whole juniper berries on the steak while grilling.
Michael Chu

re: carcinogen

This is the first I've heard that ground black pepper is carcinogenic when heated. Do you know where I can find more information on this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: