Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterless Cookware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djoc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Waterless Cookware Reply with quote

I just bought some pots and pans. I notice the chicken is sticking when I am cooking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Waterless Cookware Reply with quote

djoc wrote:
I just bought some pots and pans. I notice the chicken is sticking when I am cooking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What types of pans are they (stainless steel, aluminum, stainless steel clad aluminum, cast iron)? Also, are you using oil? How long are you cooking the chicken before attempting to move them?
djoc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

They are 7 ply whatever that means. You start in on medium and switch to low heat. I did not use any cooking oil. These are the type of pans that you see at Home Shows.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

djoc wrote:
They are 7 ply whatever that means. You start in on medium and switch to low heat. I did not use any cooking oil. These are the type of pans that you see at Home Shows.

Lots of pans showcased at home shows... Smile So, does it have a nonstick coating? What color is the cooking surface of the pan (reflective, brown, black, shiny jet black)?
Jonathan Kang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost always want to use some amount of oil. Even if it is a non-stick pan (such as anodized aluminum), the oil simply helps in developing the brown crust from searing. This also has the benefit of preventing the chicken from sticking to the pan.

When you place the chicken on the pan, make sure not to move it for several minutes. The meat will stick for the first few minutes of cooking but it will develope a crust shortly and will be easily separated from the pan. This is true of any pan you use. You would simply use less oil in a non-stick pan (do not use teflon if you're doing anything close to high-heat) than you would in a stainless steel or cast iron pan.
holeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Cooking equipment Reply with quote

I have the same problem with poultry/meat sticking to my West Bend pots as well unless I add a bit of water/oil

Herb Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum