Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: LASIK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE VERY CAREFUL with any refractive eye surgery. Doing it when you are 21 years old is definitely not recommended because the results will not last. People's vision change even after age 50, and they usually tell you to wait until you are over 40. You can only burn off so much of your cornea with a laser before you end up in trouble. Besides, even if you correct your vision, typically at infinity--distance, YOU WILL STILL NEED READING GLASSES. Sometimes, they correct your eyes for what they call monovision, which means one eye is corrected for distance and the other for close-up like reading. One eye will always be blurred AND you will likely have a depth perception deficit because you only have one clear, well focused eye at a time. If you read a lot, you might have your vision corrected for that, and wear glasses for distance work like driving and everything else you do.

If you have myopia (nearsightedness) or hyperopia (farsightedness), you may have a good result, but if you also have presbyopia (inability to focus close due to ageing--older than 40 or so), you will either need glasses for reading or distance, depending if you correct your vision for close-up or distance.

BE VERY WARY OF LASIK SURGERY. This type of vision correction is "glamourous" but has noticeable drawbacks, most noteably is that it won't last, you will have a halo or star effect in low light (especially when driving at night where you have oncoming headlights and streetlights) AND you will usually still neeed glasses for something you do with your eyes.
cnx7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Great description! Reply with quote

Thanks for a fantastic description of what LASIK is really like from a patient's perspective. You outline fears and expectations that most patients have... particularly about looking at the light during treatment.

I am actually the webmaster for the Lasik MD website. Our site is less personal, but has a neutral, objective presentation of all the common variations of LASIK and a lot of pricing information that is very popular.
libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Lasix and RK Reply with quote

I had RK surgery years ago before Lasix was approved in the USA. I opted for the monovision. Worked great. My left eye reads and my right eye does distance. After about 10 years it faded and yes, I do have a starburst effect at night.
The Lasix was to improve the left eyes distance vision. It was more painful then the RK surgery which is now outdated anyway. Dry eye was a problem for me for over a year even with the plug and Restasis drops. I have some dry eye now but its relieved by OTC drops.
Now the Lasix is fading in the left eye and I'm getting farsighted in my right eye.
IN spite of this, I DO recommend both or either surgery. I wear glasses for driving and just purchased OTC glasses for reading the very small print. Beats wearing glasses for the last 15 years. Before the eye surery, I kept my glasses beside the bed; put them on first thing and took them off last thing.
Next time, when I have my vision corrected again, I will definitely spend more time and focus on the expected long term effect. Didn't expect the Lasix to fade and cause so much trouble.
Dr. Lasik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Cost of LASIK Reply with quote

Over the past four years to LASIK industry has seen a stabilization in the average price of the surgery. Beginning in 2006 this industry report showed the average cost of the LASIK procedure to be about $2000. The 2007 report showed a small increase to $2100. The 2008 report showed an almost disregard increase of a mere five dollars, and the 2009 report showed the average cost of San Diego Lasik to be $2140. Overall, the last three years have only shown an average increase in $40.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Not for this biologist Reply with quote

RK procedures have not existed long enough to establish MTBF in human lifespans. At 55 and having myopia requiring correction since the 3rd grade - I'll let you early adopters establish the data pool. Perhaps my grand kids or great-grand kids will have the procedure.

Additionally, I have an airman's license and eye surgery is a primary disqualification for license renewal (or, issuance). I'll keep my glasses.
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Lasik Reply with quote

Hi thank you for your story. I am also interested on lasik surgery. I am kind of hesitant though because I am afraid. Anyways congratulations to the success of your surgery!
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its kinda scary to get LASIK. I know some have said its worked woinders for them but its so easy for them to ruin your eyes BY MISTAKE!!

I dunno..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: