Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Basic Pancakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjmarks67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: types of flour Reply with quote

Hay guys you can use self raising flour in stead of plain flour & baking soda any way good cooking all the best CJ Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Pancakes - From Joy of Cooking Reply with quote

This has been my basic recipe for pancakes for years, since the 70's. One tip that I just learned, is to wait until the griddle is almost hot to mix the dry and wet ingredients together. The chemical reaction starts then, so the first batch or two will be the fluffiest pancakes. I made these last night for supper, and they were great.
I also make a compote of mixed berries for on the top - strawberries, blueberries, and black raspberries, with a touch of sugar. Maple syrup is then optional.
Enjoy!
Andross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Pancake additions Reply with quote

Two things that make great additions to any pancake recipe:
    Black Pepper
    Bacon Grease

Just add to taste, I always add some to my buttermilk pancakes
vegangel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: [b]vegan, wheat-free, sugar-free version of recipe[/b] Reply with quote

I made my own version of this recipe a week ago, with a few substitutions:

1/2 cup rye flour, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/2 cup barley flour sifted together
5 packets Splenda
1/4 tsp salt (not 1/2)
1-1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk (Silk or Vitasoy)
3 Tbs melted Earth Balance margarine (vegan)
Egg Replacer (by Ener-G) for 2 eggs

Other ingredients remain the same, and prep & cooking are the same as well. They were phenomenal! I didn't put anything on them, and they were the best pancakes I've ever tasted. FYI: You can also sour soy milk with vinegar or lemon juice to use as a buttermilk substitute for baking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: A smooth/sour variation Reply with quote

I tried this with some sourcream last year with good results. I wanted the buttermilk tartness and had some sourcream in the fridge. Alone the sourcream is a bit thick for the recipe, so I use a mix of sourcream and milk (2% or less) to thin. This mixture should equal the ammount of regular milk the original recipe calls for.

I've also inadvertantly left out the butter before, and been pleased with the results. Both of these variations do affect the texture, something you may or may not like. Specifically, the sourcream variation makes the cakes a little denser but with more lasting moisture than regular pancakes. (Think poundcake verses genoise.) This makes them really wondeful when you plan on saving some for later in the day.

S
Swelter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Pancakes Reply with quote

I don't use any baking powder or sour the milk, and my pancakes taste great. I come from England and so I serve them the British way, sprinkled with caster sugar and drenched with fresh lemon juice then rolled up.
oyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegangel wrote:
I made my own version of this recipe a week ago, with a few substitutions:

i substitute some oat flour too; it gives them a great texture.

Swelter wrote:
I don't use any baking powder or sour the milk, and my pancakes taste great. I come from England and so I serve them the British way, sprinkled with caster sugar and drenched with fresh lemon juice then rolled up.

sounds like some good crepes (:
skunkworks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: pancakes Reply with quote

I've been using the "Joy of Cooking" pancake recipe for many years, and have adjusted it to my taste by trial and error. I think that 3 Tbs sugar is far too sweet; i use only 1 Tbs. Since i use a soapstone griddle I also reduce the butter to a single Tbs; this should also work well for other non-stick cooking surfaces. The reduced butter makes for a fluffier texture.
*morningstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe this morning with very good results. The pancakes were light and fluffy, but still firm. They were sweet, but not overwhelmingly so and there was a nice taste from the butter. There was a noticable egg flavor to the pancakes, but since I like egg, this wasn't an issue. However, serving these to someone who doesn't like eggs might not be a good idea.

I froze the leftovers and plan on heating them in my Hello Kitty toaster for quick breakfast.

I'm never using pancake mix ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUM! I made these pancakes this morning but I substituted .5 cups of flour for whole wheat flour. They turned out wonderfully and my husband thought they tasted like french toast-pancakes. Oh and your site rocks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Whole Wheat Pancakes Reply with quote

One great way I've found to make somewhat heartier pancakes is to use whole wheat flour and some rolled oats instead of all purpose flour as well as using brown sugar instead of normal granulated sugar. Also if you add some cinnamon to taste and about 1/2 to 3/4 of finely chopped apple (use a tart apple such as a granny smith) it makes a great addition. This is a great meal that will stick to your ribs.
Popeye

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Naming & ingredients Reply with quote

This recipe should be called "Pancakes" instead of "Basic Pancakes". It will be easier to find when the amount of recipes grows.
The blueberries are not listed under ingredients. Why? Why? Why?
And it's much better to use frozen blueberries (unless you actually want blue pancakes)
Robert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Pancakes Reply with quote

I've been making an older version of this recipe for years with great results. However, it's much better if you separate the eggs. Add the yolks to the melted butter, milk, etc., and then combine with the dry ingredients. Whip the egg whites with a mixer until stiff and then fold into the mixture. I add banana slices and/or chocolate chips after pouring the batter onto the griddle. I find that if I use a teflon or other non-stick surfance, I don't need to butter it.
inzane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: even bluberries Reply with quote

if you want to mix the blueberries evenly in the batter, crush them in a separate bowl before mixing them in.
rykthia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: two comments Reply with quote

two comments

(1) my favorite "fruity" pancakes are apple-cakes. They're fabulous. You can either dump finely chopped apples right into the batter, or, better yet, slice apples super thin and place them on top of the uncooked pancake side once you've already poured the batter. You can also sprinkle a little sugar (just a tad) on the thin apple slices, then flip and wait for the pancakes to cook. They're fabulous. The apple gets carmelized and melty, and now I'm almost drooling just thinking about it. I prefer having sugar/sweet stuff as a topping, so I skip any sugar in the batter and just sprinkle it on the apple sided cake.

(2) my favorite substitution is to use plain yogurt instead of milk. I got this idea after eating some really delicious "ricotta pancakes" at a restaurant - they have a dense, almost chewy texture with lemon that is quite nice. I haven't tried ricotta at home, but I have found that the plain yogurt duplicates this dense texture quite nicely. How the substitution goes depends on the brand of yogurt (some are more watery than others) - use your best guess and dilute with a little milk. Typically I do about 1:1 and add a tablespoon or milk. Alternately, if you make apple cakes with yogurt, add a little applesauce too. That's yummy. I've also found when I'm not in the mood for maple syrup, mixing a little yogurt and jam makes a good topping too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: