Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Lesson In Heart Health From My Girls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimothyWilson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: A Lesson In Heart Health From My Girls Reply with quote

Last evening I took my 3 girls to the mall for dinner. What a trip, but that is another story! Anyway, as we wandered around looking at the 155 options for food, my middle daughter said, “I want a subway sandwich. That is good for me, right”?
I smiled and marveled in my superior parenting skills. That is, until my eldest followed it with, “Yes, that is what my teacher says. Be healthy so your body will be healthy. We are what we eat, right daddy”?
Oh, my moment was gone, but I still had a smile on my face. My kids are learning that healthy food choices affect our bodies. That is great! And to think that the schools are following up what we are teaching at home is wonderful.
Over dinner, the girls and I discussed my diabetes and why I can’t eat sugar. We talked about why grandpa shouldn’t smoke cigarettes and how foods that are fatty and high in salt can affect your heart's health.
Now, my kids have me for their daddy which means that they overhear stories about my patients. They have heard me vent about stubborn ones and angriness about the ones that have died after being under my care for weeks. But I think that has given them a sense of reality and has made them listen a bit more closely at my preaching about foods and health.
Hopefully, their generation will make wiser decisions about their health, and ultimately their heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum