Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pressure cooker meals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aqua_jan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: pressure cooker meals Reply with quote

Do you or readers like cooking with a pressure cooker?

I want to try chicken in one for a friend. The cook book has one recipe for the whole chicken in pieces and it will just fall off the bones. Cool Teasing Not sure it will taste too good. Some vegetables, spices and a smidgen of wine...?
markkubis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I love cooking with a pressure cooker. However, I do so not only for the reduction in cooking times but because of the flavour and texture that it gives the food which is different than if the same food were to be cooked without pressure. Food is cooked with a softer texture. If you allow most of the water to boil away you can get quite a concentrated flavour, almost caramelised. I like "fall off the bone " meat. The only drawback is that you cannot monitor the progress of the cooking (or add ingredients) whilst the cooker is under pressure and you have to make a guess as to when it's done. However, you can "stir" the ingredients by shaking the pressure cooker.

I fry a joint of meat, add onions, add potatoes, chopped carrots, salt, pepper, bit of chopped garlic, chopped chillies, herbs and then add water and wine and close the lid. Never tried chicken.
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a pressure cooker a few days ago. A Fagor "Splendid" 4 quart model.

So far we've made "country" style pork ribs and a chicken & risotto rice dish in it.

Both were excellent.

I was so relieved that the wife liked the risotto because I hate making it the traditional way that takes 45 minutes. Disbelief
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my pressure cooker chicken cacciatore recipe. You may need to adjust for your cooker -- I use an old-fashioned Hawkins from India.

Code:

brown some onions and garlic with a little oil for 10 minutes over med-lo.
Turn heat to med/med-hi, add chicken thighs and brown lightly for another ten minutes. (this is just to get them hot).

Add enough diced/chopped tomatoes to cover + 1 inch (I'd drain the canned stuff bit), some oregano, rosemary, thyme and basil (lots of  it) or "Italian Seasoning" salt pepper to taste. Give the mess a good stir and place on med-hi until pressure cooker starts to whistle. Reduce heat to low, (but enough to keep pressure up) and cook twenty minutes, shaking once or twice.

If no pressure cooker, use low/med-lo stovetop for  1.5 - 2 hours, covered, stirring very gently once or twice. (better in a dutch oven in the oven at 375)

Optional -- diced bell peppers (for color)
finely chopped carrots and celery with onions.

When done, the chicken should be falling off the bones. That's why you don't stir too hard -- it should just make it onto the plate before falling off.

I serve over rice, but I don't think that's Italian... <g>
Auspicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been cooking in a Kuhn-Rikon 5l cooker for about three years now. I've had great luck with it, although I have yet to cook a whole chicken--even in pieces--in it.

Lorna Sass has written a number of books with both general guidance and recipes; I like "Pressure Perfect."

People who sail boats long distances often use pressure cookers as the reduced cooking times save fuel and minimize heat in the close confines of the boat cabin. Cook books aimed at that market often include a number of pressure cooker recipes. Michael Greenwald's "Cruising Chef Cookbook" has a number of useful recipes.

If you have a West Marine or similar marine supply store nearby you may find a number of choices in their book section.

With regard to your second question, if you don't want the meat to quite fall off the bone, try reducing the cooking time by 10% or so. As noted above, you can't check progress very well, so the learning curve is often over several attempts at a particular recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum