Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fried Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Fried Chicken Reply with quote

Fried chicken is a staple for any comfort food ideas....

Double dipping is not recommended for the salsa, but highly recommended for a nice crispy fried chicken crust.

the basics are extremely simple:

- soak chicken parts in ice water about two hours
- pat the chicken parts dry
- aside: leave the blinking skin on. the dieters can always pull the skin off.....
- dredge in seasoned or unseasoned flour - this ensures all the cracks & crannies are dry
- run through an egg wash - one teaspoon / 5 ml water added to one egg, beaten
- dredge in seasoned flour
- remove to rack and let air dry for 15-20 minutes
- rebath thru the egg wash
- second dredge through the seasoned flour
- remove to rack to air dry at least ten minutes
- pan fry / deep fry to golden brown

notes:
- these are Godzilla sized chicken (bone in) thighs - four thighs in a package of near two pounds / ca. 1 kg
- deep fried in a small pot, one thigh at a time - 3-4 minutes per side; started skin side down. since I'm cooking for just two, don't need a larger deep fry.
- because of their size, the interior was not cooked through. post deep fry, these were plunked into a 275'F / 135'C oven for 20 minutes to finish cooking through.
- keep them on a rack to avoid juices from turning the coating soggy!
- seasoned flour mix as shown is about one cup AP flour, salt, fresh ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, the red is cayenne, 2 tablespoons of corn starch for added adhesion.
- there's more than one way to fry chicken; this I copied from my MIL, and she did a mean South Carolina fried chicken!

it looks like this:

(1) chicken soaking in ice water; yes, constant presence of ice cubes required; add more ice as needed.

(2) pat dry, first dredge to ensure dry surface; use plain flour or seasoning mix

drying dredge:

(3) about 10 minutes after first egg wash and seasoning dredge; note the moisture coming through the coating.

(4) a one egg volume was inadequate for the size of these (four) thighs; this is the second egg expansion of the egg wash

(5) following the second seasoning dredge, I sprinkle any left-over flour on the pieces as they air dry

(6) into the pot, skin side down

(7) flipped skin side up after 4 minutes

(8) removed from fry oil onto paper towel. this photo demonstrates the rather minimal amount of "oil left from the deep fry" - plunked the chicken down, 8 minutes+ later just before the next piece comes out of the fry pot, moved the chicken.....
Laiortegon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Fried chicken Reply with quote

I tried this chicken recipe. Its very tasty. My mom really liked it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum