Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stonewood Grill - Ormond Beach, FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Stonewood Grill - Ormond Beach, FL Reply with quote

December 2016

Daytona Beach and surrounds is not famous for super restaurants. After searching non-Yelp reviews, we visited two on a short vacation: Stonewood Grill & Tavern (Ormond Beach) and Chart House (in Daytona Beach proper, about 15 minutes distant - see separate post.)

The Stonewood Grill is a real sleeper! Looks like a moderate upscale dinner - but wow does it do food good! Stonewood is also a chain, but at least this location does it super good.

The bread basket included rotund, fluffy soft pretzel "sticks" - marvelous stuff. Our server - Bill C. - was super. Went outside the norms with our questions and needs - he even procured a label for the pretzel sticks: Bavarian Bakery by J&J Snackfoods. I'm hot on the trail of sourcing these locally; hopefully in less than a 72 count box . . .

((Having been on a 'stuff Thyself' binge for a couple days, we opted out of appetizers....))

Entrees:
Crab Crusted Flounder in a beurre blanc sauce with asparagus. DW deemed it absolutely superb - best of the best she's had. And now I'm in big trouble - I have to replicate it at home . . .

I went a bit whole hog with their season special of prime rib (medium rare) plus lobster tail. I always hesitate to order lobster because all to frequently it is poorly prepared and usually overcooked. Not at Stonewood - most excellent - I'm guessing it was a real cold water lobster tail; different taste than the warm water species.... A generous slice of prime rib perfectly done to a hot pink - tender, juicy, served with an exquisite horse radish sauce on the side - just the right bite.

One nit,,, the Caesar salad was quite light on the sardine bit. Bill assured me they make their own dressing in house and they do blenderized sardine in the dressing. I believe it - the dressing did not have a 'out of the bottle' taste, much fresher. This is not an uncommon issue/nit for me - seems most places (near) eliminate sardine from a Caesar salad because it can draw customer yuks. Well, let them order a different salad and deliver me a succulent sardine - that is the hallmark of a Caesar salad! Looking fo a raw egg prep is probably pushing the envelop except in super super expensive places....

Coffee and Key Lime Pie - also excellent! - finished off the meal.

Highly recommended. Pricing is moderate - excluding alcohol under $50/person even with the above average cost season special prime rib and lobster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum